Writing from 2D-array to file

Hey! I am pretty new to LabVIEW, and have just encountered a problem I am looking for a simple solution to.

I am collecting samples from two channels on a NI-DAQ-Device. The DAQmx Read-VI outputs a 2D array, where each row represents one channel. I want to write this data to a file in the following format:

sample 1 from ch1; sample 1 from ch2

sample 2 from ch1; sample 2 from ch2

etc; etc

Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks!

You could use the Write To Spreadsheet File.

Just be careful with this vi, because it doesn't have an error out.

If you're passing it an invalid file path or it can't write to the file for some reason, it will pop up an error message blocking everything else, unless you've got automatic error handling disabled, in which case you will never know that things go wrong until you can't find the files.

This is why I sometimes prefer to use a combination of "Array to Spreadsheet String" and "Write to Text File", which allows you to handle the errors.

Edited by ThomasGutzler

So whenever I go to use this function for simple programs, I always open the VI copy away the functions it calls (which admittedly aren't much) and paste those into my VI instead of calling that VI directly for that reason.  Wouldn't it suck if all VIs on the palette didn't return an error but instead had a simple error handler in each of them?  Then why do that for this function?

If you're passing it an invalid file path or it can't write to the file for some reason, it will pop up an error message blocking everything else, unless you've got automatic error handling disabled, in which case you will never know that things go wrong until you can't find the files.

This is why I sometimes prefer to use a combination of "Array to Spreadsheet String" and "Write to Text File", which allows you to handle the errors.

The Robust CSV package from the Code Repository includes error handling and can handle strings containing commas and cr/lf

http://lavag.org/files/file/239-robust-csv/

Finally, something that can manage crlf:P