Bug! Class Indicator not transferring contents to parent block-diagram

Hi all,

I have had some really weird behaviour in my app over the last few days. The problem seems to be related to several others mentioned on LAVA where the contents of a class are not being correctly updated via a bundle.

My current problem goes something like this: I have a sub-VI where I update some members of a class, and then the class is used downstream in the calling VI.  If I probe the class wire directly before the exit indicator in the sub-VI, the contents are correct, but if I probe it downstream (immediately after returning from the sub-VI) one of the member elements is not set correctly!  :angry:

This morning I had another issue with a similar class apparently not updating after a bundle operation, even though probing showed all the values to be correct.

This issue is very very annoying as I now really do use classes quite a bit in my code, and this is such a terrible problem to debug as you can no longer believe what the probes are telling you.

Any ideas? Next step for me is a mass compile or to clean out the object cache.

Edit: cleaning object cache did not help.

I usually start spewing Always Copy nodes around until it works. I have seen cases where aliasing causes problems like this and worse. I have seen dataflow go bad when a buffer is improperly reused leading to downstream code running early with old values. Ouch.

Jack, I don't know how long it took you to type that out  :beer_mug:  :beer_mug:  :beer_mug:  at the next CLA summit. Thank you.

I will try those things, some I have done (or already do as best practice working procedure).

The codebase is quite large, 140 classes, approx 4500 VIs excluding vi.lib, so this could all end messily  :lol:

Hi all,

I am a bit embarrassed to say in my situation there is no bug in LabVIEW, this is clearly a case of PEBKAC.  :oops:  Sorry NI!

The root of my problem was I created a sub-class from one of my main objects, and (for reasons I can not think of now other than it was very hot the other day) in the private data of the sub-class I added a data member object that already existed in the parent (same class, same name etc). Then when I was probing around I did not notice that I was looking in the wrong place in the cluster (basically I saw what I wanted to see...).

I think I may still have the problem of a class not updating properly in a different part of my code, but I had already "fixed" that by re-arranging the class data slightly and the problem went away.

Panic over for now. Thanks again Darin and Jack, I will certainly remember this thread for next time I get this problem.

Can I just add that when using classes across multiple targets (Windows, RT, FPGA), the issues are squared, not doubled!  Thank you for the checklist (lets call it LVOOP-OCD) which I'll run my current project through soon.  Particularly removing the class mutation histories, which are a waste to have if I have no code that could ever use a previous version.  Why isn't there a class setting to never retain mutations?  For some situations (e.g. pre-release) you're only ever interested in the current version.  Or perhaps to retain only mutations related to major version number changes.

Jack, could you elaborate on your avoidance of typedefs?  I'm in the "but ..." camp, and though I don't tend to typedef primitives, I do use typedef clusters (not strict) throughout my classes.  What issues arise?  I haven't had any major problems to date (except with the RT object cache getting out of sync with the Windows object cache), and like having the "certainty" of the same data structure everywhere.  Is there a method for reliably using them?  Or am I best to convert each typedef cluster into its own class - and is that any better anyway?

The other smaller question is LVOOP property nodes - I haven't noticed any problems at all with using them, and I'm still on LV2012 (may jump to LV2014 in a month).  Is something unsavory lurking beneath the surface?

The other smaller question is LVOOP property nodes - I haven't noticed any problems at all with using them, and I'm still on LV2012 (may jump to LV2014 in a month).  Is something unsavory lurking beneath the surface?

If anything, issues with property nodes have gotten better over the last few years -- at least in my usage. All of the really bad bugs I've seen have been fixed as of this most recent patch (see this recent thread for an example: http://lavag.org/topic/18308-lvoop-compiler-bug-with-property-nodes/).

But, there are still a lot of usability annoyances related to case sensitivity. For example, if I name my folder Properties in the parent class and "properties" in the child class, you'll see two property items which link to the same dynamic dispatch VI. When a recent code review found a misspelling in the property name of a parent class, I had to go through every child implementation (~15 at this point) and fix the spelling there, because the classes were broken somehow. This and more is tracked by CAR 462513.

Finally, I remember seeing Stephen post somewhere that property nodes, due to their inherent case structure, prevent LabVIEW from optimizing the code -- even if the VI is set to inlined. For this reason alone I avoid them in any code I expect to be running at high-priority. For UI, however, I use them extensively.

Finally, I remember seeing Stephen post somewhere that property nodes, due to their inherent case structure, prevent LabVIEW from optimizing the code -- even if the VI is set to inlined. For this reason alone I avoid them in any code I expect to be running at high-priority. For UI, however, I use them extensively.

Thanks - I do almost exclusively use them in UI code, but will be sure to be careful otherwise.

Reading Jack's post really drives home to me how much time slinging wires isn't about programming so much as doing battle with the compiler and the IDE.

The list of otherwise useful LabVIEW features that are off-limits due to bizarre and mysterious corruption problems is absurdly large. I'm not quite at the point where I'm willing to take all of the preventative measures Jack recommends, but I also admit that I'm getting close. I think one more really bad corruption problem could tip me over the edge. As it is, these days I'm loading ALL my even tangentially-related LabVIEW code into memory any time I make a class or library ownership change, and that feels pretty extreme already.

I long for an lvlib "lite" that allows me to associate a set of files together, pass them around to other people, and indicate hierarchically on the project window that they belong together... that DOESN'T try to load all the dependencies into memory, that doesn't check if the dependencies are IN TURN in libraries, and then try to load all the dependencies of THAT library into memory, etc...

I was under the impression that all the linking issues with LVOOP property nodes had been resolved.  I haven't seen a CAR on that at least since 2012.  Admittedly, LVOOP property node CARs are handled by someone else now, but they usually come to me to review fixes for any serious issues.  I was silently following this thread to see if anyone else had anything to say about Jack's comments about LVOOP property nodes.

If anything, issues with property nodes have gotten better over the last few years -- at least in my usage. All of the really bad bugs I've seen have been fixed as of this most recent patch (see this recent thread for an example: http://lavag.org/topic/18308-lvoop-compiler-bug-with-property-nodes/).

But, there are still a lot of usability annoyances related to case sensitivity. For example, if I name my folder Properties in the parent class and "properties" in the child class, you'll see two property items which link to the same dynamic dispatch VI. When a recent code review found a misspelling in the property name of a parent class, I had to go through every child implementation (~15 at this point) and fix the spelling there, because the classes were broken somehow. This and more is tracked by CAR 462513.

The case sensitivity CAR is an interesting one.  I hadn't seen it yet.  Sorry it was a pain for you.

About the case structure issue.  Yes, there is a second case structure that gets inserted, but it's set up so that it defaults to the no-error case, which means it operates very quickly.  I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I don't think it makes a significant difference on performance.  You can also turn on the the "Ignore Errors Inside Node" option to remove a case structure on the calling VI.  And you can remove the case structure from the property implementation VI.

BONUS: I'll buy a (free) beer at the LAVA BBQ to anyone who writes a test that shows a big difference in performance between property nodes and subVIs.  Consider whether the subVIs are inlined, too.  I reserve the right to judge what a big difference is.  To be clear, the factors to consider are: 1) Ignore Errors Inside Node, 2) Case structure in property accessor, 3) Inlined accessor VI or not.  You immediately forfeit your right to a beer if some crucial part of your code gets dead code eliminated.  Competition ends August 4, 12pm CDT.  Really the only purpose of this is to settle the question once and for all.

BONUS: I'll buy a (free) beer at the LAVA BBQ to anyone who writes a test that shows a big difference in performance between property nodes and subVIs.  Consider whether the subVIs are inlined, too.  I reserve the right to judge what a big difference is.  To be clear, the factors to consider are: 1) Ignore Errors Inside Node, 2) Case structure in property accessor, 3) Inlined accessor VI or not.  You immediately forfeit your right to a beer if some crucial part of your code gets dead code eliminated.  Competition ends August 4, 12pm CDT.  Really the only purpose of this is to settle the question once and for all.

I was curious so I put something together (well most of it was stuff I've had lying around from previous benchmarks). I figured my first go at the benchmarks would be wrong, so there is a script to generate them.

1. Run gentests/gentests.vi

2. Open Benchmarker.vi and set the path to a generated report file

3. Run benchmarker.vi

My first attempt is attached. If you want to change the benchmarks, they are the templates in the folder. From this first run, I don't see a difference, but as I said my first attempts are usually wrong when it comes to benchmarking.

propbenchmark.zip

first run.zip

It will be a cold day in Austin during NI week (or let's say it will be hotter inside the convention center than outside during NI Week) before I will use property node accessors again.  I once succumbed to their siren song and wrote some SDR code using them.  The inability to inline subVIs containing property nodes was a disaster, I had to write a QuickDrop shortcut to replace the property nodes with their underlying accessor VIs.   Simply doing that (it was not so simple in practice) allowed me to inline certain SubVIs and then the code worked.  No changes to the underlying VIs, just removing them from the PN was enough.

Want to quibble over what a "big" difference is.  A seemingly "small" difference which means the difference between being able to process the IQ data in less time that it took to acquire it or not is by definition a "big" difference in my book.

In summary:  you could write code that shows that Property Nodes are in fact faster than the underlying SubVIs.  Nice, but not so helpful in the real world.  When the rubber meets the road, the inability to inline can hurt much, much more than some minuscule performance difference.

[Re: LVClass Property Nodes]

Performance aside -- if we agree that our codebases are liabilities, not assets -- in what universe does 16kB file per accessor make sense?*

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I agreed spiritually with the decision behind the design to require explicit UDClass methods for accessors (quote: "These are major advantages of class data encapsulation, and we want to encourage people to design software that naturally has this advantage. By not supporting public or protected data, we eliminate a potentially confusing computer science concept from the language (at the very least, we cut out one more thing that needs explanation) and drive people toward a better architecture.") Four years ago, after a year of novice learning, I questioned the design in the form of a feature request. A year and a half ago, I confirmed that was not just a naïve opinion that should have fizzled with experience. Today: confident enough to call LVOOP Property Accessors an incorrect language feature, and substantially painful enough to warrant redesign.

A correct, desirable solution facilitates and promotes painless, seamless, intelligent design of class member scope. The design below, currently implemented and shipping for years now, needs to be removed. It's a clunky method of spewing liability and naïvete all over yourself and your project:

post-17237-0-24588400-1406079699.png

So, this weird-ass helpful-looking scripty-thing in the IDE is a "facility" to the uninitiated and eager, an "exsanguinator" to the initiated and burned,  and it provides a UI affordance that pointedly enables and encourages the precise opposite of the decisions behind the design. To sum up, we LabVIEW users are given 1) a document that posits we Picture-Programming Mouth Breathers don't need and can't be trusted with sharp instruments, and 2) a sharp instrument only good for cutting ourselves and nothing else. Wut? The self-fulfilling prophecy of ignorant software design given poor language facilities is publicly frustrating to me.

As a side-topic, I strongly desire opening the conversation about unifying the type system of LabVIEW, this being one topic of usability-versus-problems with accessors, and as a case study comparing accessor syntax of typedefs to the other walled-garden composite types. (To expand, it's worthwhile to unify by-ref built-in classes like FileIO/VIServer/VISA/DAQ; STL-like reference designs such as Queue/Event; type definitions; .NET objects; and then our only "officially supported" integration point for types, the neglected bastard UDClass). New keywords for classes that guarantee immutability would be cool, providing safe read-only access for object members (e.g., the ctor is the only setter allowed by the compiler). A sane ontological relationship, such as a Trait would be phenomenal (when, neither inheritance nor composition fit; which is, like, a lot. nailing the object model itself resolves some data access deficiencies at the root!). Let's pick up stone and throw it in any direction to pick a conversation about how to improve LVClasses, except in the direction of UDAccessors. Those categorically remain 16-thousand byte liabilities, and let's just put to bed the syntax burden ought to belong in language-land, not user-land.

Yes, got sidetracked onto LVOOP generally rather than staying on the LVOOP Property Node topic, but for an important reason. I'm not riled up here because LVOOP Property Nodes ended up as a bad idea with an imperfect execution. Like, whatever, k? We can fix that, a bit inconvenient, but no prob, we can work together. The fundamental source of angst is that LVOOP is not appreciably better than when it first debuted nearly a decade ago. And maybe, in some existential and puny way, if we declare a cease and desist on LVOOP Property Accessors, LVOOP gets better? I dunno man. Seems tenuous.

Let's close out here. Remember kids -- friends don't let friends use LVOOP Property Accessors.

Next week's topic: namespacing and source file formats (generally, linker questions like "who relates to who, how?", which makes this accessor conversation look like polite chatter in the grocery line)

* To you -- yes you, with the $/GB or €/TB figure on your Casio solar-power display -- you're handy at maths, help me with this. What are the opportunity and actual costs of maintaining one LVOOP Property Accessor? Does that scale linearly with multiple accessors?  Multiple classes? Number of collaborators? How much time does it add to the build, type-propping and compiling, opening the LVProj, closing the LVProj, committing to SCC, diffing or merging on conflict, run-time performance (before it's loaded into memory, not after), debugging, when spanning across multiple targets, when spanning multiple release versions, when developing subclasses, when refactoring to add superclasses, when moving some data from sub- and some to super-classes, when explaining to your colleagues how "it must have been labview fault I just effed up the build" (punch line: you're right), when explaining that to your boss (who is sometimes the customer), when coming home late and explaining to your family (punch line: being right doesn't matter here; being good matters), when inheriting code from some trigger-happy accessor-scripting-chump, when you unknowingly run into one at least a few known vectors for insidious corruptions and bad behaviors with LVOOP property nodes? Cost certainly does not have "bytes" in the units, but certainly does have units of $$ and faith and morale. My experience, including many reboots of faith and second-third-fourth chances with LVOOP property nodes, is now converged to categorically default them as "too costly". You: "but..." Me: "Have at it; go crazy."

I was curious so I put something together (well most of it was stuff I've had lying around from previous benchmarks). I figured my first go at the benchmarks would be wrong, so there is a script to generate them.

1. Run gentests/gentests.vi

2. Open Benchmarker.vi and set the path to a generated report file

3. Run benchmarker.vi

My first attempt is attached. If you want to change the benchmarks, they are the templates in the folder. From this first run, I don't see a difference, but as I said my first attempts are usually wrong when it comes to benchmarking.

I took a quick look over it.  I removed the write before the property node reads because I thought it might be doing some priming that wasn't necessary.  I also made all of the loops use a shift register to use the same object the whole time, instead of copying it each time.  Finally, I made every VI read or write four times instead of just once, so that the differences in timing could compound and be more noticeable.  It looks like the property nodes are 8% slower.  I haven't looked at these tests with a critical eye (or a properly caffeinated eye), but that's about what I'd expect.  I bet if you included the same error checking as the property node the difference would be closer.  I hope you're coming to the LAVA BBQ ;)

It will be a cold day in Austin during NI week (or let's say it will be hotter inside the convention center than outside during NI Week) before I will use property node accessors again.  I once succumbed to their siren song and wrote some SDR code using them.  The inability to inline subVIs containing property nodes was a disaster, I had to write a QuickDrop shortcut to replace the property nodes with their underlying accessor VIs.   Simply doing that (it was not so simple in practice) allowed me to inline certain SubVIs and then the code worked.  No changes to the underlying VIs, just removing them from the PN was enough.

Want to quibble over what a "big" difference is.  A seemingly "small" difference which means the difference between being able to process the IQ data in less time that it took to acquire it or not is by definition a "big" difference in my book.

In summary:  you could write code that shows that Property Nodes are in fact faster than the underlying SubVIs.  Nice, but not so helpful in the real world.  When the rubber meets the road, the inability to inline can hurt much, much more than some minuscule performance difference.

I was under the impression that issue had been fixed.  I filed CAR 484048 to our performance team.  They'd still not be uninlinable if they were dynamic dispatch.

I had to write a QuickDrop shortcut to replace the property nodes with their underlying accessor VIs.  

Do you still have this (or have you posted it somewhere)? When I found found my most recent issue with property nodes (which is fixed) I went through code manually to do the same.

I took a quick look over it.  I removed the write before the property node reads because I thought it might be doing some priming that wasn't necessary.  I also made all of the loops use a shift register to use the same object the whole time, instead of copying it each time.  Finally, I made every VI read or write four times instead of just once, so that the differences in timing could compound and be more noticeable.  It looks like the property nodes are 8% slower.  I haven't looked at these tests with a critical eye (or a properly caffeinated eye), but that's about what I'd expect.  I bet if you included the same error checking as the property node the difference would be closer.  I hope you're coming to the LAVA BBQ  ;)

Interesting changes. I wasn't sure whether writing the same value would be optimized out so thats why I made a new random value for each run. Is there an easy way to see what code gets eliminated?

The reason I personally don't like property nodes is because of the error checking. I know a lot of people disagree with me but I prefer not having error nodes if you don't expect that code to throw an error. Accessors shouldn't throw errors (unless I know I want to do validation on it). Property nodes force me to add error wires which I never expect to use.

However, property nodes do keep things clean in some cases and they really improve discoverability of data, so I see them as a necessary evil :)