NI Week App and Schedule

hooovahh

Last year there was an NI Week app that really helped me be organized and see quickly what sessions were at the same time as other ones.  Does anyone know if that will exist for this year again?  Or is there an easier view for sessions online rather than a list?

Yes, there is an app.  But it seems it is less useful than last year.  In fact, each year the app seems to get worse.  This one seems like an HTML5 viewer that simply displays the mobile web site, not a real native app.

I miss the ability to see all sessions at a given time and then choose the one to attend.

Also, there does not appear to be a way to export your schedule to your favorite calendar program, like in the past.

Also, there does not appear to be a way to export your schedule to your favorite calendar program, like in the past.

Through the regular web interface, you can use the Export button. I was able to successfully export to my Google calendar with this option:

post-4441-0-93100600-1406143773_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Through the regular web interface, you can use the Export button.

Ok, how do you get to the regular site?  The email I got only had links to get the app or access the mobile version via web.  That version does not have the export feature.  And I do not see a link on the NI main site.

This is the link that works for me...I don't think it's an NI employee-only link, but I could be wrong:

https://niweek2014.activeevents.com/portal/myPortal.ww

This interface is not perfect but I think it is much easier to use.  I think I will be using this to schedule my events, and then only using the phone app to know where I wanted to go to next.

A few interesting points:

The mobile app will not allow you to add personal events (meetings, LAVA BBQ, Etc) but the full web version will.

The full web version will not allow you to schedule more than one event at the same time but the mobile one will.

The full web version will not allow you to schedule a personal event that takes up part of another event (like one that runs into lunch).

Kinda annoying overall.

As for the sessions, I have been able to book up most of Tues and Weds but on Thurs I have at least 3 sessions at each time slot I want to attend.  Why do they do this every year?  For each track, they should spread the sessions in the intermediate and advanced categories out so there is as little overlap as possible!

• Like 1

Why do they do this every year?  For each track, they should spread the sessions in the intermediate and advanced categories out so there is as little overlap as possible!

I want to get on this band wagon too, but I would be very surprised if NI doesn't spend a lot of time trying to best optimize when and where sessions take place.  I agree with you that it seems like many advanced sessions are taking place at the same time.  Last year I remember having issues with Thursday too.

I would be very surprised if NI doesn't spend a lot of time trying to best optimize when and where sessions take place.

Given the occurrence of this problem year after year, I think you give them too much credit.  I would bet that track and level overlap is not even a criteria for scheduling.

Personally, I think they should post the session list much earlier and let everyone choose the sessions that interest them.  Then simply apply something like the traveling salesman algorithm to optimize the session times so the least number of conflicts for the least number of people is achieved.  That what computers are for, after all....