Mark Balla

BTW you can keep any of the NI NDA related tidbits, they are probably about as exciting as the LV2015 beta features :)

Ha! That actually made me laugh out loud :D  ...but for reasons you may not know  :ph34r:

If someone has some valuable insight or a new and better way of doing something I would hope they would share that information in the public domain.  If they would like the honor of first presenting the idea in a closed forum that seems perfectly reasonable.

I think that's reasonable. And it describes the current state well. If anyone wants to present to the world, they can (and should!)  If they want to present in a closed forum of their peers, they can at the CLA summit. Having the restriction of being a CLA better guarantees that the audience *are* your peers. Sure, there are plenty of people that aren't CLAs that are peers, but there are many more that aren't. This is the only control NI can really have over making sure the people in the room are peers, and I think that's important.

That said, I don't think I'm against the CLA summit presentations moving toward a TED-style open release, and it's a concept that I think deserves more thought. Of course, that may push some presenters (for all the reasons already mentioned) and/or some sweet juicyness underground (one presentation at the recent US summit comes to mind that was super juicy, and would never go public).

It's off topic, but I'll add it here: honestly, I *like* the presentations I've seen at the summits I've attended, but it's the other things (being-there-and-talking-with-peers) that makes it worth it for me.

"I prefer that the CLA presentations not be generally posted."

AQ, you mean publically posted or posted in general (i.e. posted to a limited group vs posted at all)?

Speaking for myself (speaking for others tends to get me into trouble) I very much enjoy the CLA videos even though I'm not even CLAD any more....

I'm fine with it being posted to the CLAs that were there and shared to the broader community. Essentially, I recognize that limiting the spread of information is nigh impossible in this day and age, but I'd prefer that there be some way of not just stumbling on the presentations without surrounding context. I.e., enter through a portal that explains what is going on, not just getting the video directly in some search engine result.

but I'd prefer that there be some way of not just stumbling on the presentations without surrounding context. I.e., enter through a portal that explains what is going on, not just getting the video directly in some search engine result.

Presentations are self contained with a title. They are from a "LabVIEW CLA summit". What more [context] is there? What exactly is your worry if it's not the feelings of the presenters or the availability to non CLA programmers?

Edited by ShaunR

I already presented counterexample for this theory. See first post from me in this thread.

Hmm. In that case. I'm not sure any context can be given for an in-joke no matter what the medium. It is quite likely that of a room of people, not everyone got it anyway. Differences between presentations? I'm not sure that is relevant. It is what it is for who it was intended for; presenters change their talks all the time.

It seems a bit harsh to say no-one can benefit outside the club because the presenter has to be more careful with their language. It's not as if it was being surreptitiously videoed without the presenters knowledge for a sting to catch them out.

Edited by ShaunR

It seems a bit harsh to say no-one can benefit outside the club because the presenter has to be more careful with their language. 

I can do a better presentation for a specific group than I can for a general group... just like I can do a much better presentation 1-on-1 than I can for a specific group. I heavily tune my presentations for my audience. I have five different versions of my "intro to OO" presentation, and I generally don't present any of them without at least a couple tweaks for the specific group. Maybe not everyone does that, but I consider it to be good teaching. Being able to tune for a specific audience is a big reason why I and others are able to get so much out of the CLA presentations. Unfortunately, when I tune for a specific group, I often tune out another group completely, and that has with some regularity lead to some communication problems, even to people choosing completely inappropriate architectures for their projects because they heard something I said in one context and tried to cross-apply it to some totally different context that I never intended to cover. So I've learned to be MUCH more circumspect when a presentation is being video taped and MUCH MUCH more circumspect if that video is going to have general circulation. 

If others want to post their presentations publicly, I'm not going to object. Just don't expect me to follow suit. And if you think that is harsh or unfair, I'm ok with that. There will be other presentations; maybe you'll be in the target audience for one of those. 

I can do a better presentation for a specific group than I can for a general group... just like I can do a much better presentation 1-on-1 than I can for a specific group. I heavily tune my presentations for my audience. I have five different versions of my "intro to OO" presentation, and I generally don't present any of them without at least a couple tweaks for the specific group. Maybe not everyone does that, but I consider it to be good teaching. Being able to tune for a specific audience is a big reason why I and others are able to get so much out of the CLA presentations. Unfortunately, when I tune for a specific group, I often tune out another group completely, and that has with some regularity lead to some communication problems, even to people choosing completely inappropriate architectures for their projects because they heard something I said in one context and tried to cross-apply it to some totally different context that I never intended to cover. So I've learned to be MUCH more circumspect when a presentation is being video taped and MUCH MUCH more circumspect if that video is going to have general circulation. 

If others want to post their presentations publicly, I'm not going to object. Just don't expect me to follow suit. And if you think that is harsh or unfair, I'm ok with that. There will be other presentations; maybe you'll be in the target audience for one of those. 

I have just been watching a shed-load of videos on Eliptic Curve Cryptography and Distributed Hash Tables. May seem like a strange combination, but there ya go. Where they even aimed at a LabVIEW programmer? Nope. Where they of different depths and breadths? Yup. Where a lot of the things they talked about way over my head? Only until I looked at more videos and academic papers to fill in the gaps. Would I be thinking about the networking system I have buzzing around my head if I didn't have access to those videos? Not a hope in hell!

One video required me to watch 5 other videos and read 7 PDF documents from NIST and various Universities to understand some of the things they were talking about. Maybe one of your non-general and targeted presentations would be, or has already been,, a similar starting point for a journey of discovery.for someone.

Maybe one of your non-general and targeted presentations would be, or has already been,, a similar starting point for a journey of discovery.for someone.

Maybe. I'm not interested in facilitating that kind of positive serendipity when weighed against the negative serendipity. It's my preference. 

Maybe. I'm not interested in facilitating that kind of positive serendipity when weighed against the negative serendipity. It's my preference. 

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think you really believe that.

I think talks like the security one at CERN, though, should be required viewing and it would be a disservice and detrimental to the community not to make it widely available!