Load hex file into avr controller using LabVIEW

piZviZ

I want to load hex file into avr microcontroller using labview...How it is possible??

Details-----atmega64 controller based avr kit ..and it has USB interface for programming ....I load program using winAVR but now i want to load hex file using labview  ..

Yeah it should be possible.  But rather than trying to read the file into LabVIEW, can you just use the hex file in a commandline program to load your device?  AVRDUDE has command line support so you can provide the file and interface and it uploads it.  You can make this a batch file if you wanted which is probably easier than LabVIEW.

• Like 1

All the discussion I've seen regarding similar needs ended up following some form of hooovahh's advice.  There's a lot of communication going on behind-the-scenes in order to accomplish the load making it not worth the effort to build something you can call from a command line.

I am very thankful to you that you give me nice information about this.But , According to my project need i have to load Hex file from LabVIEW ..How i can achieve this ?

If you asking how to read a file, it doesn't really matter what the file is, you can use the Read Binary File with an array of bytes.  But the usefulness of this is very small.  It still isn't clear why you need to load a hex file with LabVIEW.

I want to make project Virtual Lab....In this project hardware kit(AVR kit) is connected to college PC.But student can program it from its home via internet.  So it is require that  ,Student can load there HEX file into controller from far end.Further more camera is attached to college PC which adhere to hardware kit.So,student can analyze whats going on...Other good idea regarding this project is appreciate...

After lots of search i came to know that i can program AVR controller using VISA serial  in labview ..Is it true?

I want to make project Virtual Lab....In this project hardware kit(AVR kit) is connected to college PC.But student can program it from its home via internet.  So it is require that  ,Student can load there HEX file into controller from far end.Further more camera is attached to college PC which adhere to hardware kit.So,student can analyze whats going on...Other good idea regarding this project is appreciate...

After lots of search i came to know that i can program AVR controller using VISA serial  in labview ..Is it true?

Yes it is, but as pointed out the protocol to download a hex file to the AVR controller seems to be quite involved. If it is fully documented by AVR you can of course try to implement it in LabVIEW but I would expect this to be non-trivial.

If you truly want to do this from LabVIEW do yourself a favour and get a serial sniffer and capture a download that has been successfully done via the AVR tools.

Doing this kind of thing from first principles is, in my experience, quite a bit of frustration finally followed by extreme satisfaction when it all works nicely.

Good luck if you are trying to write the bootloader, expect much suffering!

• 3 months later...

Look at attach image i am able to load program into Avr controller using labview.Now i am trying to load program over internet remotely .Now when i am trying to load program over internet i am giving path into LOAD HEX button.But this path is consider as server path..

How i can transfer HEX file from client side to server side from browser..

I am using webserver.

I heard that data socket protocol is used to transfer data.But how to use it in webserver??  

post-52604-0-68722100-1416972971_thumb.j