Problem when try to read Interbase Data on Windows 7

Hello,

My name is Fedly Chan.

Currently, I am facing problem when I try to read Interbase Data on Windows 7 (that act as server).

I created program to access Interbase data on Server, with Labview Ver.4. The program could display accessed data, and also can manipulate the data (create, delete, update). The server is using Windows XP. The program access the Interbase data also from Computer that run with Windows XP.

I have plan to change the Server into Windows 7.

I tried to access the Interbase data from the Server (Windows 7).

But error message appear : "100 CINLoad dll setup error."

It seemed that I need to install the SQL Toolkids on the Server, SQL Toolkids that work under Windows 7. I tried to install SQL Toolkids (the old version that I have with me) on the Windows7, but it did not work, it said that because of the different environment.

Frankly, when I check the price for this SQL Toolkids, it's quite expensive, can somebody help me with this problem...

Many thanks,

Fedly Chan.

(jsum0702@gmail.com)

Hello,

My name is Fedly Chan.

Currently, I am facing problem when I try to read Interbase Data on Windows 7 (that act as server).

I created program to access Interbase data on Server, with Labview Ver.4. The program could display accessed data, and also can manipulate the data (create, delete, update). The server is using Windows XP. The program access the Interbase data also from Computer that run with Windows XP.

I have plan to change the Server into Windows 7.

I tried to access the Interbase data from the Server (Windows 7).

But error message appear : "100 CINLoad dll setup error."

It seemed that I need to install the SQL Toolkids on the Server, SQL Toolkids that work under Windows 7. I tried to install SQL Toolkids (the old version that I have with me) on the Windows7, but it did not work, it said that because of the different environment.

Frankly, when I check the price for this SQL Toolkids, it's quite expensive, can somebody help me with this problem...

Many thanks,

Fedly Chan.

(jsum0702@gmail.com)

You seem to be using the VERY SUPER old original Database Toolkit with LabVIEW 4!!! You do realize that this software was released about 15 years before anyone even knew that Windows 7 might be released anytime soon????

Are you trying to load LabVIEW 4 on your Windows 7 machine? LabVIEW 4 was originally a Windows 3.1 application that used a special memory manager to support 32 bit operation. There was only a prelimenary version of it that was compiled for and working on Windows NT. While LabVIEW for Windows 3.1 could run in compatibility mode in Windows NT and even 2000, this compatibility mode was just a cludge and would badly fail as soon as you started to acceess hardware interfaces. That is not supported and will almost certainly fail in many different ways! I'm surprised that it even worked on XP even without hardware access but it's a safe bet that Windows 7 has probably broken something that would be necessary to run the Windows 3.1 version of LabVIEW on it.

The way in LabVIEW 4 to interface to external code was through so called CINs. LabVIEW has changed a lot since those days and has subsequently removed the ability to create CINs in all versions of LabVIEW and eventually scraped support for loading CINs from all new platforms. This includes any new 64 Bit version of LabVIEW.

Or are you using Windows 7 64 Bit and have installed a recent version of LabVIEW 64 Bit for Windows 64 Bit? As explained this version doesn't support CINs. The LabVIEW CINs are compiled binary resources similar to DLLs they have to match exactly the memory model of the LabVIEW application that you use. So there needed to be seperate CINs for LabVIEW for Windows 3.1, LabVIEW for Windows 32 bit, and about three versions of LabVIEW for Mac (Mac OS 9, Mac OS X PPC, Mac OS X x86) but there are none for LabVIEW for Windows 64 bit nor LabVIEW for Mac OS X 64 Bit and never will be.

You may find the price of the toolkits expensive but unless you want to work with Windows XP or 2000 you really won't get around upgrading to newer versions. Besides working in LabVIEW 4 is a major pain in the a** in comparison with newer versions of LabVIEW.

If you decide to upgrade at least LabVIEW, you can also look in alternative Database Toolkits on the net. There is one called LabXML and another one called ADO-Toolkit. There are others too but no matter which you choose none of them will support LabVIEW 4.0 so an upgrade of at least LabVIEW is unavoidable. Just FYI we are currently at LabVIEW 2014 which is about equivalent to LabVIEW version 14.0 in the old numbering scheme. 

• Like 1

By the way, I have the plan to buy Labview for Windows 7. Is it possible to re-compile my program (that was made using Labview 4) using Labview for Windows 7 ? Can Labview for Windows 7 read my 'Labview 4' program ?

Thank you, 

Fedly Chan.

If  you buy LabVIEW now you will get LabVIEW 2014. LabVIEW 2014 can't directly read LabVIEW 4 VIs. Almost 20 years is a long period and they had to do some cut at some point. Here you can see the compatibility table between LabVIEW versions. You will need an intermediate conversion package, which you should be able to discuss with your NI sales representative. It's basically an Evaluation version of LabVIEW 8.2 or 8.5 that can load and recompile older VIs to a format that the most recent LabVIEW version can read.