Found an interesting buffer overflow bug (not a security risk AFAIK)

Easy to reproduce; just follow  these steps:

1. Place an Initialize Array node in the block diagram
  2. Make it a large number of dimensions (really anything more than 1 will work, but do more for full effect)
  3. Do not connect anything to the Initialize Array, so it remains void
  4. Right-click the output terminal, and go to Create->Indicator
  5. Look at the index displays on the front panel.

When the array indicator is created, it's supposed to set aside memory to store the selected indices for however many dimensions are needed. But apparently, if the type is void, it only sets aside room for one dimension, leaving the additional index displays pointing to addresses that are supposed to be used for other things. I searched for the values that appeared using Cheat Engine, and sure enough, it cuts into a section of memory that looks like it's being used for something else.

On a side note, just for fun I changed the values on all the index displays, and one of the index displays changed to show garbage characters. Then when I closed the VI, LabVIEW crashed. So yeah, it looks like a buffer overflow.

This is in 2014 btw.

Edited by flarn2006
  • Like 1

Easy to reproduce; just follow  these steps:

1. Place an Initialize Array node in the block diagram
  2. Make it a large number of dimensions (really anything more than 1 will work, but do more for full effect)
  3. Do not connect anything to the Initialize Array, so it remains void
  4. Right-click the output terminal, and go to Create->Indicator
  5. Look at the index displays on the front panel.

When the array indicator is created, it's supposed to set aside memory to store the selected indices for however many dimensions are needed. But apparently, if the type is void, it only sets aside room for one dimension, leaving the additional index displays pointing to addresses that are supposed to be used for other things. I searched for the values that appeared using Cheat Engine, and sure enough, it cuts into a section of memory that looks like it's being used for something else.

On a side note, just for fun I changed the values on all the index displays, and one of the index displays changed to show garbage characters. Then when I closed the VI, LabVIEW crashed. So yeah, it looks like a buffer overflow.

This is in 2014 btw.

Confirmed. Introduced in LV 2013 and doesn't affect LV 64 bit...