Does anyone ever post codes that they are working on?

Hey guys,

So I was just wondering if forums like LAVA had any code review of an entire application and such.

I typically have code review done at work but I was wondering if there was a thread where people just shared their code.

I understand that sharing an entire code is typically not possible due to company policy and IP related matters but

I thought it might be nice if I can take a look at a code of somebody outside of my typical circle and see how they do things.

Honestly I don't see any problem with just making a normal post asking for advice.  Plenty of times someone will post a "This is how I did my CLD what do you think", or a "I'm new at LabVIEW how can I improve this" and as a collective we look over the code, post improvements and suggestions.

I don't think it has ever been attempted with large projects so I don't know how it would go down.  I think smaller programs work well because the effort from someone is small to open the code and say a few things.  But for a large application I wonder if you won't get much contribution, because the time needed to understand the intent of the code, and then post solutions/suggestions might be larger. 

JKSH,

I've checked out the sites you have mentioned, especially  LAVA code repository, but I couldn't find any actual application.

Would you happen to have a link to one?

hooovahh,

I guess I misused the word code review. Showing my code and getting advices from someone is definitely nice, but instead I was just wondering if people posted their code that I can take a look at.

Since I don't have a specific question regarding anything, I just wanted to see how other people design, organize, document and pretty much program in LabVIEW.

Example solutions and submissions of CLD and CLA exams are close to what I am looking for... however the amount of programming is incorporated into is limited so 

it lacks LabVIEW tricks and designs.

I hope I make sense  :)

(I haven't used any of them except h5labview, so I can't give you an assessment on their quality)

If you want a good resource on LabVIEW tricks and designs, I recommend The LabVIEW Style Book by Peter A. Blume. He walks you through sample projects, points out their strengths/weaknesses, and provides lots of useful guidelines.

Edited by JKSH
  • Like 1

but instead I was just wondering if people posted their code that I can take a look at.

AHH, yeah that would be beneficial.  During my early career I was fortunate enough to work with many talented developers and saw many design patterns and was able to have a 1-on-1 to ask questions about decisions that were made.  This really helped me shape the thought process I use when choosing design patterns.

Unfortunately the issue you are going to have is, no one is going to want to show you their secret sauce.  I mean lets say I did a program for John Deere and I'm really proud of how it works and think its great.  I can't simply share that with the world, I'd likely be taken to court.  I guess the only way you'll see a full application like this, is if the project was for my own company, and I had permission to share it.  Which I think is unlikely. 

CLD/CLA examples are probably a good idea but like you said they are 4 hours of work, sounds like you are interested in the weeks/months long projects to see how they work.  It probably goes without saying, but I wouldn't look for this type of thing from NI's examples.

JKSH,

Thanks for the links! I didn't know LabVIEW developers used Github and sourceforge too.

I took a look at the book you recommended. I do think there is lot that I can learn from architecture design.

But I wanted to get your opinion on how much difference the LabVIEW version that the author used would make.

The book was written around 2006 so  I am guessing that was like LabVIEW 8.2?

hooovahhh,

Yea, code review and outside exposure is definitely what I need. At my workplace, we have talented developers,

however the work style is more about solve immediate problems and worry about the rest later. So there's not much room for design and code reviews  :(

Yea, code review and outside exposure is definitely what I need. At my workplace, we have talented developers,

however the work style is more about solve immediate problems and worry about the rest later. So there's not much room for design and code reviews  :(

So sorry to hear that.  Having a culture of good software development in the workplace, is more beneficial than 10 "experts" who just throw stuff together until it works.  This is one reason why I feel LAVA is such a good resource because it helps encourage the good software development culture.  Having enthusiastic developers in the workplace helps, and it sounds like you could be a shining light for your co-workers.