Heavy remote panels

I thought remote panels just downloaded the front panel objects, but in my tests, the remote panel connection downloads the whole VI, in this case almost 2MB :blink: .

Is there any way to lighten the remote panel download? Because now the user doesn't see the advantage of using remote panels against downloading the compiled program just once.

Strangely, I tried saving the VI without the block diagram, and now the VI is only 1MB but the remote panel still downloads 2MB :wacko: .

Saludos,

Aitor

Also, don't forget that the entire LabVIEW run-time engine is downloaded and installed if it doesn't already exist. At least, this is my impression. The benefit of using remote panels is the browser interface.

Thanks, Michael. But now I'm more puzzled: the LabVIEW User Manual says: "When you open a front panel remotely from a client, the Web Server sends the front panel to the client, but the block diagram and all the subVIs remain on the server computer." Is it true or not?

Saludos,

Aitor

Thanks, Michael. But now I'm more puzzled: the LabVIEW User Manual says: "When you open a front panel remotely from a client, the Web Server sends the front panel to the client, but the block diagram and all the subVIs remain on the server computer." Is it true or not?

Saludos,

Aitor

3967[/snapback]

What sorts of front panel objects are you using? In my limited work with remote front panels, I got the impression that objects with heavy amounts of internal data (such as charts, graphs, array controls/indicators) have all their internal data copied over to the remote client, not just what's visible (or decimated for display). Not sure if this is true, but thought it might give you something to look for...

Best regards,

Dave

What sorts of front panel objects are you using?  In my limited work with remote front panels, I got the impression that objects with heavy amounts of internal data (such as charts, graphs, array controls/indicators) have all their internal data copied over to the remote client, not just what's visible (or decimated for display).  Not sure if this is true, but thought it might give you something to look for...

Well, I use big graphs and that could explain part of the problem. But I have tried creating a empty VI just with the same front panel objects (i.e.: nothing in the block diagram), and the load of the remote panel is much lighter (about 1/8 of KB), so part of the code is being loaded. But what? The event structure doesn't seem too heavy. Maybe the property nodes? I don't know :wacko:

Saludos,

Aitor