Hooray!

Neil Pate

Thanks,

No, I also just saw the youtube video last week, complete coincidence.

My (probably very unrealistic) initial goal is actually to recreate SC2 melee in LabVIEW. A secondary goal for later is to get OpenGL working nicely with LabVIEW and SDL. I have started this bit several times and never really got enough momentum to keep development up.

• Like 1

My (probably very unrealistic) initial goal is actually to recreate SC2 melee in LabVIEW. A secondary goal for later is to get OpenGL working nicely with LabVIEW and SDL. I have started this bit several times and never really got enough momentum to keep development up.

A worthy initial goal  :D

Does that include "standalone" OpenGL? OpenGL support would be great for advanced data visualization in LabVIEW.

As for momentum, I have a large stop-start project myself. I found it very useful to document my thought processes and experimental findings. I'd get back into the project after a ~2-week hiatus and would've forgotten much of what I was planning. The documents helped me get back into it quickly without having to restart.

Those buggers cannot be all facing the same direction, that ship was way too slippery to control.

I didn't realize until a few years ago that pressing the thrust key on Slylandro made him immediately switch directions 180 degrees. Turns out to be a great tactical move for attacks with quick escapes.

I didn't realize until a few years ago that pressing the thrust key on Slylandro made him immediately switch directions 180 degrees. Turns out to be a great tactical move for attacks with quick escapes.

Pesky indeed!

My favourite was the Utwig, although the Vux could be deadly (and terribly annoying) in the right hands.

OK, so the Slylandro now has some food :-)

This is just a silly video of me controlling both the ship and the asteroid (now with animation) with an xbox controller.

http://screencast.com/t/Z2s6ZDvFae

The jing video messes up the frame-rate, it is buttery smooth without the video being recorded.

Next step: battle music!

Edited by Neil Pate
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Nice to see that someone else had fun doing this. I am trying to find a nicer way to put it all together. All the SDL functions can be used directly by LabVIEW, some just require creative use of pointers. Using SDL for OpenGL is much nicer then what LabVIEW offers. 

Hi Neil, do you know where I could find a simple example on how to start to combine labview and sdl to create something similar to https://plus.google.com/107942026210962154106/posts/9cZoas7UgLy ?

Hi, sorry I just saw your post now.

There is no tutorial I know that mixes LabVIEW and SDL. I basically used lazy foos SDL tutorial (http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/) which are done in C, and just ported the logic to LabVIEW, wrapping the SDL DLL as needed.