How to solve an Error 6

In the making of a program my group noticed an error popped up when we tried to run a program. Even though none of the equipment changed and similar program using the same functions was functional before it created an error in this program. The Error number is  6. After that we tried to run the original functional program but now this one created Error 6 as well.

we do not know how to solve this error.

Error 6 is a permission error. That can have many reasons and without knowing which function gives you this error there is really not much we can do to help you. Most likely it is a file permission error. So maybe you login with a different user than before or your system administrator changed the access rights for your user account.

By the way: You posted in the wrong forum too. This seems to have nothing to do with OpenG functionality at all, so should have been posted in one of the more general forums.

• Like 1

We don't know your ion gauge, nor what it does and how it functions. It could be that the instrument driver for it simply returns its own errors as LabVIEW errors so that the actual numeric value means something completely different than what one would expect from LabVIEW functions. It can also try to read some file somewhere. All guess work if you don't provide a LOT MORE information about your program, hardware and source code.

You usually don't go to a car shop and tell the mechanic that your car doesn't work and if he could tell you what the problem is without taking the car with you so he can have an actual look at it, do you? You know more about your software than anyone here does, so you need to tell us as much as possible about it in order to allow us to help you!

As to where to post, I notified a moderator and they moved the thread into the General area, where you should have posted it in the first place.

The error  is in a function that was made to read the pressure off ion gauge.

And I not sure where to post this then because on my computer shows that this is in the general section where question that does not fall in the other categories. 

Oooh. An ion gauge? Is that part of a plasma rifle or a quantum defibrillator? Please post the code :D

Well, I will tell  you everything to the best of my knowledge since I am just a student who is just learning Labview and was not the one the created the program or set up the ion gauge.

The ion gauge is hot filament ion gauge that is attached to ultrahigh vacuum chamber that functions by collecting gas ions through electrons collisions. As the gas ions is being collected the flow of the ions creates a current. the current would differ for different gases at same pressure.

Our ion gauge displays the pressure that is connected to the computer through GPIB connection.

My Professor created a code that was made to read the pressure that is displayed on the ion gauge. So I really do not know how it functions but I know that it works because we ran it through different programs before and it worked perfectly. So I copied the exact same function to my program and put it in a while loop and ran the program which gave me an error and pointed to the code that was supposed to read the ion gauge.   

I originally thought it was the connection and it was not communicating with the ion gauge but I restarted the ion gauge this allowed the program to work momentarily but it crashes shortly after. The strangest part is that after the code stopped working on the newest program it stopped working on the old ones as well.

here is a picture of it 

post-53707-0-63239100-1436457419.jpg

Please don't post pictures.  Would you take a picture of notepad and post it on a text based language forum?

That being said the code you show is quite simple and all the work is being done in that one subVI which is where I'm guessing it is trying to read a file that it doesn't have permission for.

Also that version of LabVIEW is probably from 2004 or so.  Is that the current version your institution has?

You're going to want to dig into that VI and probe around and see what is going on.  Use probes, breakpoints, wires retain values (doesn't exist in LabVIEW 7.x) and the various step over/into, to figure out why this error is happening.

Well, I will tell  you everything to the best of my knowledge since I am just a student who is just learning Labview and was not the one the created the program or set up the ion gauge.

The ion gauge is hot filament ion gauge that is attached to ultrahigh vacuum chamber that functions by collecting gas ions through electrons collisions. As the gas ions is being collected the flow of the ions creates a current. the current would differ for different gases at same pressure.

Our ion gauge displays the pressure that is connected to the computer through GPIB connection.

My Professor created a code that was made to read the pressure that is displayed on the ion gauge. So I really do not know how it functions but I know that it works because we ran it through different programs before and it worked perfectly. So I copied the exact same function to my program and put it in a while loop and ran the program which gave me an error and pointed to the code that was supposed to read the ion gauge.   

I originally thought it was the connection and it was not communicating with the ion gauge but I restarted the ion gauge this allowed the program to work momentarily but it crashes shortly after. The strangest part is that after the code stopped working on the newest program it stopped working on the old ones as well.

here is a picture of it 

Well, it is already pretty helpful to know that the function uses GPIB, but it would be even more helpful to see what is actually inside that VI. Most likely it uses the old GPIB function interface and there error 6 means actually that the GPIB IO operation was aborted. That is a somewhat generic error for GPIB operations that the GPIB controller detected some kind of error and has aborted the transfer because of that. Check out this document for a list of possible GPIB errors and what it could mean.

As to posting a photograph of a screen shot, well, posting the actual VI AND subVI would have taken less work for you and would be about 100 times more useful to be able to see how the VI that causes the error is built up. We still only can guess that it is probably the GPIB function causing that error.

• Like 1

By the way: You posted in the wrong forum too. This seems to have nothing to do with OpenG functionality at all, so should have been posted in one of the more general forums.

As to where to post, I notified a moderator and they moved the thread into the General area, where you should have posted it in the first place.

Please don't post pictures.  Would you take a picture of notepad and post it on a text based language forum?

As to posting a photograph of a screen shot, well, posting the actual VI AND subVI would have taken less work for you and would be about 100 times more useful to be able to see how the VI that causes the error is built up. 

No need to gang up on the guy or be rude.  Forum nazis are almost as annoying as n00bs.

No need to gang up on the guy or be rude.  Forum nazis are almost as annoying as n00bs.

I take an issue with that n**i word. :angry:  If someone comes to you and tells you your application doesn't run, you would also try to educate him that there is a lot more information needed in order for you to mean something for him, wouldn't you? In this case it is not even software I wrote so how would we have been able to even guess from the first two posts of the OP that GPIB might be involved? Nor did he provide any information about his application other than that it caused a specific error number. Posting in OpenG made me actually guess at first it may be related to some OpenG toolkit function, otherwise  I had left the post entirely alone in the first place.

I take an issue with that n**i word. :angry:  If someone comes to you and tells you your application doesn't run, you would also try to educate him that there is a lot more information needed in order for you to mean something for him, wouldn't you? In this case it is not even software I wrote so how would we have been able to even guess from the first two posts of the OP that GPIB might be involved? Nor did he provide any information about his application other than that it caused a specific error number. Posting in OpenG made me actually guess at first it may be related to some OpenG toolkit function, otherwise  I had left the post entirely alone in the first place.

My apologies.  Replace it with "overbearing rule enforcers".

I agree more information is needed and the subVI is essential to answering the question.  I just noticed a lot of hostility that seems out of place.

My apologies.  Replace it with "overbearing rule enforcers".

I agree more information is needed and the subVI is essential to answering the question.  I just noticed a lot of hostility that seems out of place.

I'm not sure where you see hostility in those remarks. Yes it may be not sugar coated sweet talk, but hostile? I think you should reconsider this.

Okay deep breathes everyone (including myself). 

New users need to be pointed in the right direction some times, there were times when we all knew nothing so they should have some slack just like we should have had some when we were new.  

But on the other side of it, how are new users going to know proper etiquette if we don't point out what it should be?  Lets try to be mindful of other cultures and remember we all have bad days.  Lets just try not to take it out on others.

We can be overbearing at times, and new users can make mistakes.

• Like 2

I think quite often new guys/gals don't really know the difference between LabVIEW source code and an image; especially if it is their first foray into programming at all. LabVIEW is just programming with pictures, right?

Posting a screenshot is posting code, isn't it? I see all the time old timers posting screenshots. OK, they call them snippets, but they are screenshots and they say it is code, right? :shifty:

edited to add emoticons for Rolf :D

Edited by ShaunR
  • Like 1

I think quite often new guys/gals don't really know the difference between LabVIEW source code and an image. LabVIEW is just programming with pictures, right?

Posting a screenshot is posting code, isn't it? I see all the time old timers posting screenshots. OK, they call them snippets, but they are screenshots and they say it is code, right?

You forgot a smiley there after the last sentence!  :P

• Like 1

Sorry, For the late response been busy.

First, I am not sure if you are aware that the computer that I type on and the computer that I work on are to completely different computers. The one with the code on it is not connected to the internet so the only way i see possibly to transfer the information to this computer is flash drive, which to fault on my own I don't have. 

Second, I am not sure how to convert a picture to a text file that you are requesting. 

Finally, I think the use of language in the conversation we had was a little belittling so hopefully you used this information for future new comers. But i do not care as long as you provide me with information.

Sorry, For the late response been busy.

First, I am not sure if you are aware that the computer that I type on and the computer that I work on are to completely different computers. The one with the code on it is not connected to the internet so the only way i see possibly to transfer the information to this computer is flash drive, which to fault on my own I don't have. 

Second, I am not sure how to convert a picture to a text file that you are requesting. 

Finally, I think the use of language in the conversation we had was a little belittling so hopefully you used this information for future new comers. But i do not care as long as you provide me with information.

They are asking you to post the source (the actual VIs) not a text file or an image. This way they can open the code and actually see what is going on and point you in the right direction. Without the real source it becomes difficult to help you.