Deploying LabVIEW Code to Raspberry Pi

Wow so I don't own a Pi but this makes me want to get one to see what it can do.  Just like with the Arduino discussion before it was released, can you give any more details on things like the current limitations?  Should we assume similar cost schemes to the Arduino?  You mentioned seeing LabVIEW windows, does that mean the event structure is supported?  Or is this more like the Linux HMI for basic interactions with polling?

Hello Hooovahh;

You hit a nerve on the event structure.  :)  We are currently looking at the best way to implement it and are not sure yet if it will make it to the first release. That one is the challenge for the front panel stuff. Just like the Arduino Compatible Compiler for LabVIEW, we are interested in getting something in the hands of the community as soon as possible and let the feedback guide the short term feature set. However, since the Pi is MUCH more powerful than Arduinos, there will be less limitations than on the compiler for Arduinos. Just to cite a few, we will have parallel threading right off the bat, so a typical producer consumer is fair game, with queues and multiple loops in parallel. That is how the Vib Monitoring demo I mentioned was implemented and is working.

We probably won't have property/invoke nodes, and the synchronization primitives (notifier, rendevous, etc); and as far as data types, I don't think we will have waveform. But will have clusters/typedefs. Won't support LVOOP. These limitations are for the first release and it is not to say they won't make it later. Other than that, I don't see other big limitations for the first launch. Don't take this as set in stone yet as we are about 4 months away from release, so the final feature set will become clear a little later. In the last couple of weeks, it has been all about NIWeek week prep, but we will hit it hard again once that is past us.

As far as pricing, we haven't decided yet, but don't think it will deviate much from what we did for the Arduino one. Still TBD at this time though.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys;

We are going Beta on the LabVIEW for Raspberry Pi! We should be releasing it before Christmas. We have a sign up sheet on this link (very archaic process due to an absolute lack of time to do anything more formal as we have been all hands on deck) if you would like to get your hands on the Beta release and have some fun over the Holidays...

Cheers

Filipe

Edited by Filipe Altoe
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Filipe:

Any news about the release date?

Do you guys will support access to the USB hardware on the Raspberry? I'm interested in polling other devices via a FTDI USB Serial Cable.

Also, I want to communicate using UDP packets on the ethernet port. Are those going to be supported by the compiler?

I'm eager to test it!

Thank you,

Mauricio

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David;

We are not planning on including support for Shared Variables on the first release of the compiler. This is not to say it may not come on follow one releases as we will always listen to the community on the most wanted features and gradually add support to them based on the ones that are asked for the most.

In regards to the Pi 3; yes, it will run on the Pi 3 just fine.

Filipe

Good question. :)

Even though that is theoretically possible; we have decided not to open that Pandora box. The main reason being that different Linux distros have some subtle differences on how they handle graphics. And, they can actually be different enough to generate run-time problems. Since the RasPi for LV compiler allows front panel deployment, we would be swimming in a pool of support hell if we allowed any Linux distro/target under the sun. :)

We will not stop on the Pi; but will do a controlled release to other targets as we want to make sure we run some heavy tests on specific distros to make sure things work to some baseline standard before release.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Filipe, are you aware of the LINX 3.0 toolkit that was released today which allows to deploy and run LabVIEW code on a Raspberry Pi 2/3 and BeagleBone Black?  Were you in collaboration with NI, or approached by NI, or have any involvement in LINX 3.0 or was this developed independently?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...