LabVIEW Real-Time VI Property Node throws Error Code 1

PLeVasseur

Some background: I'm trying to use the name of the library my VI is executing in as part of a string which will be used in the name of a Rendezvous, to keep it distinct from other Rendezvous I will create.

When attempting to use the VI Property Node to access the Library property on the CompactRIO, error code 1 is returned. Running the same code on my computer runs as expected and returns the Library. Accessing the VI Name using the Property Node appears to work no problem on the RT, though.

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? I tried searching the documentation, but didn't turn up anything. Is this error part of some general behavior wherein some VI properties are not accessible when a VI is running on a real-time target?

Code is attached. Please see attached pictures:

Project Explorer:

post-53795-0-33696800-1439243882.jpg

Block Diagram:

post-53795-0-44778400-1439243550.jpg

Front Panel - RT Results:

post-53795-0-02588400-1439243603.jpg

Front Panel - Computer Results:

post-53795-0-94406100-1439243601.jpg

Experiment with VI Property Node Error.zip

Edited by PLeVasseur

D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out, ShaunR.

I'll have to keep a lookout for this in the future. Is there rationale that was given from NI for why this (or any other) property is not available?

My guess is it is to do with the scheduling infrastructure built into LabVIEW. VI Server Property nodes in other OSs force running in a specific UI thread, and some actually require full root loop access (root of the LabVIEW execution). To enable such support in a real-time system and provide guarantees on real-time performance was probably impractical.