Challenge: figure out why this loop doesn't stop

I have a challenge for you: looking at this VI snippet, it appears that this loop should stop after 11 iterations. However, when you click Run Once, it doesn't stop. See if you can figure out why it doesn't stop.

post-15106-0-98754000-1440213266.png

Hint (if it really is much of a hint): it uses a trick I sincerely doubt you've ever seen before! :lol:

If you don't have LabVIEW 2015 (or don't feel like loading it from a VI snippet), here's a version that should work on versions as far back as 2009:

LV2009.vi

+ and - primitives use the compound arithmetic node, IIRC. I expect you set the first terminal to invert?

What do we win if we get it right? :D

It's clearly not a compound arithmetic node. Is there a way to make one look like a regular subtract node or something?

And you don't win anything; I'm just curious if anyone will figure it out. :lol:

Edited by flarn2006

Did you wire up the minus as 2-(shift reg), then move the wires around to make it look like (shift reg)-2?

Then the shift reg would go 10, -8, 10, -8,… and never be less than -10.

I guess you are right, however the wires are not wired around, the Subtract function is actually flipped horizontally :blink::

post-17453-0-25199200-1440244674.png

I'm still trying to figgure out how you did that, flarn2006...

Please tell me if it is not possible from within LabVIEW or I die before solving this :(

I'm guessing h

I guess you are right, however the wires are not wired around, the Subtract function is actually flipped horizontally :blink::

attachicon.gifFlipping Magic.png

I'm still trying to figgure out how you did that, flarn2006...

Please tell me if it is not possible from within LabVIEW or I die before solving this :(

I'm guessing he used his backdoor VI editor (https://lavag.org/topic/19178-low-level-vi-data-editor-warning-not-for-production-use/) to create a mutant subtract node  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I'm guessing he used his backdoor VI editor (https://lavag.org/topic/19178-low-level-vi-data-editor-warning-not-for-production-use/) to create a mutant subtract node  :rolleyes:

That is cheating! :nono:

... But I guess you are right.

dcoFiller=0x2 apparently swaps mapping of parameters to instruction, and also prevents the top wire from becoming a stomper. 0/10, would not recommend; stick to dcoFiller=0x3

Hehehe... Found a new toy to trouble our trainees with. :rolleyes:

Edited by LogMAN
  • 6 years later...