Preparing for CLA

Dear all,

I successfully passed my CLD just a few weeks ago at NIWeek and will attempt the CLA on September 10th. I did a lot of research, attended the session on the CLA preparation, and won't bother you with the usual basic questions, I think I have a good understanding of what is expected.

However, there are two things I'd like your help with:

1) Requirement tag: I never used them and I'm amazed by how little information there is online. Where do you put them:

- BD: Free labels, wire labels

- FB: Free labels, free labels inside a cluster

- Documentation inside VI Properties

- Others?

2) Error Handling: I must admit I lack experience and knowledge about how to create an error handling module, let alone a good one! In my past projects, each module and sub-module was always performing its own error handling... Could you point me to a few different techniques and examples? I'd like to get a good understanding of what is expected from such a module. If I only look at the one from the sample exam, I'm afraid I will just try to memorize and recreate it and it's not what I want to do...

I'll start working on the sample exams and will likely post my solution here to ask for some feedback.

Thanks  :book:

• Like 1

1. The requirement tags are just free labels with the right text in them.  You can also put them in the VI and control descriptions if you want.

2. I would just use a queue to send the error information to your error handling module.  It is simple and quick to do.

But I now have to put out a shameless plug: Certification Nugget: CLA

I wrote the elevator practice exam this morning. I'm not super content with my performance, and will definitely need to do better at the exam. The positive note is that it gave me a much better understanding of the format and the requirements. Even though I already knew I shouldn't code too much, I still did I think! The 4 hours just flew by so fast!

Anyhow, I would greatly appreciate your feedback. I stopped after exactly 4 hours, so it is quite incomplete. I inserted a tab in front of each requirement that I placed. I placed 80 of them over the 90 the files contains.

Of course it's hard to tell, but do you think I would have passed or failed?

Thanks

Emmanuel

CLA Elevator Exam EB.zip

I made a second attempt at the elevator. I wrote it after watching a video from Muun doing the exam with the Model View Controller (without OOP) (https://www.reddit.com/r/LabVIEW/comments/3939jy/postlive_cla_practice_exam/). I tried to implement a simple version of the MVC by creating a central model that stores all queue and event refs across the application. I also added proper wrapping API for the messages to send, but the API still takes the queue or event references as input, so each caller still needs to pass the reference. I was doing this a third time (which I won't!), I would put the 'get model' inside each VI of the message API, so the callers of the API don't need to pass the references...

I'd be happy to get some feedback before I try the ATM exam practice in a few days. Thanks!

CLA Elevator Exam EB_try2.zip

• 1 month later...