Problems installing DAQmx/Vision, only on Windows 10?

Hi All,

I have recently cobbled together a new PC, and have put Windows 10 on it (which I really like).

Everything works quite nicely, but have had a lot of trouble installing NI Drivers. I have the August 2015 Software Reference Library USB stick, and cannot install DAQmx or Vision without the installer hard-crashing my PC (power off required!).

I have no issues installing other software (LabVIEW, toolkits, TestStand etc) off the USB stick.

I was able to get DAQmx to install by using one I downloaded, but this technique has failed me for the Vision drivers.

Anybody else experience this behaviour? I would suspect it is just something about my system the installer does not like. I have a pretty new Skylake based CPU so perhaps that could be it?

Kind regards

Neil

You probably already know this but, as far as I know, no NI software has been released, which officially supports Windows 10.  This usually doesn't mean it won't work, and I've heard some people say they have LabVIEW 2015 on Windows 10 and haven't seen any issues yet.  But it looks like others are having various Windows 10 issues.  Until February I'm guessing there isn't much we can do without NI support.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Windows-10-compatibility-with-applications-developed-in-LabView/td-p/3169517

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/compatibility-with-windows-10-and-DAQmx-14/td-p/3197358

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/Windows-10-myDAQ-Driver-Not-Working/td-p/3182525

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Windows-10-with-two-task-bars/td-p/3198937

Yeah I kinda expected it...

It's a bit annoying really, it is not like Windows 10 was all of a sudden released on the world with no notice.

So strangely I was poking around in my Vision pallette and even though I had to switch off my Pc during the installation the IMAQdx VIs are there. Will probably go up in smoke if I try and run them though :lol:  

Edit for grammar

Edited by Neil Pate

It's a bit annoying really, it is not like Windows 10 was all of a sudden released on the world with no notice.

I don't know how things work at NI, but I wouldn't be surprised if efforts aren't ramped up as soon as the first alpha of Windows 10 is available.  If it were me I wouldn't ramp up develop and test until the final release candidate is available, and it seems that didn't happen until last May time frame.  

I mean I don't think the user base is really there, so not being ready until February isn't holding back that many people is it?  I mean I have yet to see a test system, or any NI hardware connected to a Windows 8 machine yet.  Not saying it doesn't happen but I'm not surprised.

Oh just out of curiosity I looked it up, Windows 7 came out on July 2009, and support for Windows 7 didn't come until LabVIEW 2009 SP1 in February.

• 5 months later...

Tried to install Vision again today, this time 2015 SP1 on a fresh installation of Win10 and same problem. Grrrr.

Something is weird about my PC though, if I install the Intel LAN drivers I also get a hard crash  :angry:

Edit: narrowed this down a bit, seems to be PXI Service Runtime 2015.  Is this even necessary for a "normal" PC?

Edited by Neil Pate

I have had no issues installing NI software back to 2012 on Win10. This includes vision and PXI. You dont normally need the pxi service.

So far all the times I have seen a Win10 machine freeze has been due to bad hardware or drivers.