Security? Who cares?

ShaunR

I think it is the Linux based cRIOs that come without FTP enabled.

On Linux RT there is no FTP server in the standard installation, only WebDAV (which many of our customers have never heard of unfortunately, so we have some trouble getting some of them to switch to cRIO w LinuxRT).

You have to do a custom install of "Legacy FTP server support" to have FTP. To make that option even worse it only supports anonymous logons (so you do not really have an equivalent to the "old" solution available).

On Linux RT there is no FTP server in the standard installation, only WebDAV (which many of our customers have never heard of unfortunately, so we have some trouble getting some of them to switch to cRIO w LinuxRT).

You have to do a custom install of "Legacy FTP server support" to have FTP. To make that option even worse it only supports anonymous logons (so you do not really have an equivalent to the "old" solution available).

​Not having played with a myRIO or other Linux RT (yet!) so I might be off track. But if it has SSH then it probably has SFTP

Edit:

Sometime later​, after searching to see if there was a wmware image of the NI Linux real-time somewhere  (silly fool for even thinking this might be a thing), I came across the Linux RT whitepaper.

NI Linux Real-Time targets also support SFTP functionality through SSH as well in case WebDAV is unsuitable for a given application.

​So there ya go.

-------------------

​Incidentally. It seems that the document also states that FTP was removed (not included?) in Linux RT in LabVIEW 2013 (or maybe that was just when they added webdav)

​

Starting with LabVIEW 2013, all NI real-time targets support WebDAV file transfer.

​<snip>​

Unlike older devices based on VxWorks and Phar Lap, NI Linux Real-Time targets do not have an FTP server installed by default. I

​

​[Except the SFTP, of course!]

Edited by ShaunR
  • Like 1

Thanks, I had not discovered the SFTP option. Now I found a little user guide on it too.

​Not having played with a myRIO or other Linux RT (yet!) so I might be off track. But if it has SSH then it probably has SFTP

Edit:

Sometime later​, after searching to see if there was a wmware image of the NI Linux real-time somewhere  (silly fool for even thinking this might be a thing), I came across the Linux RT whitepaper.

​So there ya go.

-------------------

​Incidentally. It seems that the document also states that FTP was removed (not included?) in Linux RT in LabVIEW 2013 (or maybe that was just when they added webdav)

​

​[Except the SFTP, of course!]

​

Thanks, I had not discovered the SFTP option. Now I found a little user guide on it too.

​Indeed. However I would suggest using a key file. If you already have SSH access (which I presume you do) then you just point Filezilla to the private key file You can then disable username/password authentication completely on the server.. This is far more secure but difficulties arise with many (hundreds) of users. However having many users requiring SSH access is not a usual use-case in LabVIEW.

post-15232-0-47359500-1449590115.png

​So there ya go.

-------------------

Not really removed :lol:

LabVIEW 2013 is the first to officially support any of the Linux RT targets. So it was simply never added. :lol: