LabVIEW Player error 34 (VI not signed)

janezn696

Hi all!

As I went thru some of the posts I see there are many experts here.

(for example https://lavag.org/topic/19178-low-level-vi-data-editor-warning-not-for-production-use/#entry115665)

I have some .vi files (6.x) that I would like to 'play' with LabVIEW player (I managed to find it on the net).

When I open them LabVIEW player reports error 34: not signed.

I even downloaded a free evaluation version (2015) with no luck: error 11: no block diagrams.

Is it possible to sign a .vi file somehow?

Thanks.

J

Edited by janezn696
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay lets back up a bit.  What is your issue?  It sounds like you have some VIs saved in LabVIEW 6.x or so, and you want to open them?  It also sounds like the block diagrams of the VIs are missing.  This brings up two issues.

Versions of LabVIEW can only open specific versions of source.  Here is a table.

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/8387/en/

Next there is the fact that when a block diagram is removed, the source code is removed.  All that remains is the compiled code essentially, and there is no publicly known decompiler for LabVIEW.  Even if there was it would go against NI's EULA, and probably would work like crap anyway since so much of LabVIEW's visual information would be lost in a compiled binary.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FEE732F4B1541B9586256BF0006A78CA

What is a LabVIEW Player?  Where have you seen this mentioned?

Error 34 means Print Dialog Error, explain in detail, every step you take and everything you see.  Do you see this when you go to open the VI?  What version of LabVIEW?  What version of your OS?  Can you post the VI?

As for the linked page you found.  That sounds like it has nothing to do with what you are doing, and you should probably avoid those topics until you fully understand what this Low Level VI editing is for.  It is not a bad topic to discuss, but it is one that the general public doesn't need to know about, and will likely break something or cause NI headaches in the process.  It is extremely experimental and not condoned by NI.

There was such a thing in the old times of LV6 .

Here is what I remember (This was nearly 15 years ago, my memory about this stuff is dim):

LV player was able to run signed VIs, you were even able to see (but not edit) their block diagrams.

To sign a VI you needed a special tool that required a LV6 Professional Development System.

Without LV6 and this signing tool you won't be able to do anything useful with the player.

I don't see a reason to resurrect this old piece of software, except for nostalgia :-)

• Like 1

Oh wow, I wish I was around to see some of that.  Looking at what changed in a VI to make it signed would have been interesting for sure.  And being able to view LabVIEW code without LabVIEW is something several people have tried to do in one form or another with varying levels of success.  I remember seeing one version on LAVA that made some kind of java script of a VI that would let you go to the other states of a case structure.  Too bad this has been abandoned for ~15 years.

Again if you can post the VI source (with block diagrams) we can try to help update the code, or post images of the block diagram with the code capture tool.

EDIT: VIPreVIEW is what I was thinking of https://lavag.org/topic/7132-vipreview-interactive-vi-preview/

I cannot post .vi file - it has no block diagrams.

If your VI has no block diagram VIPreVIEW won't help, it is designed to show the block diagram in a web broswer.  Your only hope at running the VI is to open it in the exact version of LabVIEW it was compiled for.  But even then you can't change the code at all, all you can do is run it, assuming it isn't broken.  And if it does open broken you can't edit the code to make it not broken.