Cloud Software Integration. LabVIEW

MJM99

Hi All,

I use LabVIEW for my PhD project.

I want to send the files, and metadata, that I am generating directly to cloud services and from there, I want to share with my professor.

Currently, I am copy and pasting one by one the files and send by email or dropbox. But, it is quite slow and I sometimes I can’t send all the files I would love, and I can only send files, none of the  metadata (which I saved as json in a database).

Does someone know about any cloud platform for LabVIEW which could solve this for me?

Thanks.

Well there are tons of other cloud serves that just integrate into explorer.  You just copy files to some designated folder and it gets uploaded.  Have you tried OneDrive, or Google Drive?  Both have some free space.  

There's also FTP as an option, if you have a server to connect to.

If you are currently using Dropbox, why don't you simply save and edit your work in the dropbox folder.  Then you can share the specific folder containing your work with your professor.  The same link should work as you update the contents of the folder.  You can store your database in that folder as well.

Hi

The problem with  Google Drive and Dropbox is that, none of them, allow me to add a comment in the data that I am saving-sharing with my professor.

In addition, the just give 15Gb or less of free storage, and that includes the email, picture and personal storage (google Drive).

I don't think any cloud platform will solve the problem with having to manually join your metadata to your raw data. Perhaps generate a file to go with the data as you produce it.  Also, none of these are LabVIEW specific and as you've seen free only gets you limited space.  In short, to my knowledge there is nothing that will do much more than what you are currently using.

As far as I’m familiar, an intuitive, ready to use and free platform for handling data (I assume, of the scientific type) and metadata is not developed, or successfully marketed. I agree with people above: a well-known cloud storage solutions are the best solutions at the moment. In fact, an open access to their API, allows a relatively easy integration of LabVIEW with these cloud storage platforms and several different LabVIEW interfaces can be found here, though I cannot guarantee if the functionality will meet your expectations:

If you are willing to invest a bit of time customising and hacking the software, you might end up with a pretty good solution for yourself. I think there shouldn’t be a problem writing an interface that would allow a smooth LabVIEW connection with Dropbox using their HTTP AP

I’m personally familiar with the people who are developing a cloud storage  platform https://rinocloud.com/ for the purpose you are asking – cloud storage of data, metadata, sharing,… Pretty much Dropbox, but optimised for scientists. At the moment it’s in a testing stage, however, if you don’t want to invest your time writing your own custom software, I would recommend keeping an eye on them or signing up for a beta testing, as they already can provide LabVIEW (plus MATLAB, Python,..) code for a smooth integration between your measurement software and the cloud storage server.

I hope this helps.
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as I’m familiar, an intuitive, ready to use and free platform for handling data (I assume, of the scientific type) and metadata is not developed, or successfully marketed. I agree with people above: a well-known cloud storage solutions are the best solutions at the moment. In fact, an open access to their API, allows a relatively easy integration of LabVIEW with these cloud storage platforms and several different LabVIEW interfaces can be found here, though I cannot guarantee if the functionality will meet your expectations:
If you are willing to invest a bit of time customising and hacking the software, you might end up with a pretty good solution for yourself. I think there shouldn’t be a problem writing an interface that would allow a smooth LabVIEW connection with Dropbox using their HTTP AP

I’m personally familiar with the people who are developing a cloud storage  platform https://rinocloud.com for the purpose you are asking – cloud storage of data, metadata, sharing,… Pretty much Dropbox, but optimised for scientists. At the moment it’s in a testing stage, however, if you don’t want to invest your time writing your own custom software, I would recommend keeping an eye on them or signing up for a beta testing, as they already can provide LabVIEW (plus MATLAB, Python,..) code for a smooth integration between your measurement software and the cloud storage server.

I hope this helps.

You made a copy paste error with your rinocloud link!