HackMan: PACMAN clone.. Take the challenge!

Ubbi

Good morning everybody,

I'm new to the forum and I'd like to show you my last creation as a presentation.

It is called Hackman, and it is a PacMan clone I've made while trying some OOP in Labview.

I have programmed chasing and moving methods as in the original arcade.

From the website http://hackyourpack.altervista.org/

you can download the executable... If anybody's interested I can provide source.

It is keeping track of the global high score.. so try it and put your name on it, so everybody will know your mastery!

Ciao!

Ubbi

Whoa... I wasn't expecting that kind of reaction.. but you're right.. why should you trust me..

Ok.. if you want to try and be sure I'm not stealin your soul, you can disconnect from the internet and play it offline..

It is just making 2 ftp call anyway (and you can trace it is pointing on the same altervista space), the first get the highest score, the second upload your highscore (only if you make it!).

I think you can also deny permission to go online, and it will work offline.

I'll post code soon, stay tuned :)

Ciao!

• Like 1

hooovahh's post represented my immediate reaction to your offer; I look forward to the source.  Of course, why should you trust us?  Once we see how you did it, we can write whatever we want as a high score to the "altervista space". :D

• Like 1

Hey sorry if I came across a bit strong.  The only time we generally get things posted here that are compiled binaries, its usually spam with some DLL to perform stuff on barcode scanners, and OCR for some reason.  

I haven't looked through the source much yet, but I saw a few cool things.  Like embedding the audio in the VI, sure it makes it a bit larger but the sound effects were small enough, and I like using a 2D picture control that gets redrawn.  I love using the picture control in ways that maybe aren't intuitive but make for a neat UI.  An alternative might be involving showing and hiding objects, or even moving objects like a button that looks like a pac man around the front panel.

Oh and I noticed you Exit LabVIEW when the VI stops running.  A better solution might be to see if the VI is in an EXE and then exit if it is, or do nothing if it isn't.  This way if you run from source when the VI stops running LabVIEW is still open.

Also I do hope that no one abuses your source and posts a high score of 2^32 or something.  And as for the FTP credentials, LabVIEW VIs can have password protected block diagrams, but according to NI R&D it is far less secure than you probably know.  I believe the quote had something to the effect that the amount of protection the block diagram password gives you, is similar to the amount of protection you get from tissue paper.  There are multiple ways to defeat this password protection, and it would give your online credentials to your FTP, to anyone who can defeat this tissue paper.  Not sure if there would be a good way around this, since if you just posted a VI with no block diagram, we would be back to square one where you would have a binary blob that is doing unknown things on our system.

Run and download a random EXE from a random site, which reportedly uploads data to a central location?  No thanks.  But if you are willing to post the source you should, either here or possibly in the code repository.

If it's good enough for Apple, Google and now Microsoft .......... :P

Wow thanks for your compliments.. They came boosted by the initial critics.. ;)

I'll consider for sure your advice and I totally agree with you about the security of hiding credentials in such a way.. I have thought exactly what you wrote but I was in a hurry to post you the source code to demonstrate my good will ;)

Sincerely I have nothing more than that hiscore on that website so if someone likes wasting his time to hack it .. well he's fully welcomed, I don't care.

I'll keep thinking about a better solution but it's not a high priority issue!

Thanks again..I hope to see your hiscore

Nice game.

Interesting design, any reason you created 4 different Ghost classes?

Inky is dependeny on Blinky, why

If you have ever played Pac Man maybe you have noticed that each ghost has its own personality (i. e. Chasing technique)

the base is common but they are choosing their target differently:that why I have made a different class for each one of them

Inky s target is dependin also on Blinky s position.

Ciao!

• Like 2

Yes, Everything started with that article exactly... I've read it and I was thunderstruck.

For your info, there is no overflow error.. At first I wanted to introduce it, than I got bored and I had enough of all the rest :)

Sure, I've played it but never realized the ghosts behave differently :-)

I would still go with one single Ghost class and have different personalities/attribute to them.

That could be another implementation, but I wanted to make some excercize about classes, and inheritance and so on.. so I choosed to make more classes...

• 5 years later...