[ActorFrmwrk] Actor Core Show Frontpanel / Runtime Engine

The Launch Nested Actor.vi has the Terminal "Open Actor Core front panel? (F)". Which is pretty useful. It makes sense. It is a simple interface for me to specify whether I want to display a UI for this actor or not.

But it doesn't work in the runtime engine. The implementation of the Actor.vi includes a conditional disable structure that throws an error when an actor is to be launched with an opened front panel on a runtime system. So I can use it in development but not in production.

Is there a sensible reason for this?

What's the preferred  workaround?

Cheers,

an AF noob

The best place for AF discussions is the AF group here - https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/actor-framework-2011

If you search for the relevant error there you can see that this is apparently designed for debugging and you should use other options to open the FP (like FP.Open). I don't know what the thinking behind it is (probably that the actor should manage the all the UI setup on its own), but see here, for instance - https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-17193

Alright, thanks for the info.

I knew of the AF group but generally try to avoid anything on ni.com (at least till all other resources are exhausted) since the knowledge might be there, but the page is a navigational atrocity and things are usually fragmented and hard to find.

• Like 2