GPS

MAH2681

I'm trying to figure how to either gain control and/or read a Garmin GPS unit via the USB port. for right now i'd just like to display the coordinates on the front panel. The model is a Garmin USB GPS 18. I'm still relatively new to LV so i'm not sure how to go about this. I found an old vi for the Garmin 45 that uses the serial port. I tried hooking up another GPS I have to this via the serial port, but it didn't seem to work. I know Garmin has a SDK kit and info the USB but I'm not familiar with any of those languages. I haven't had much luck on NI's website looking for some type of help either. I can post any of the vi's or USB SDK info if someone would need them. Perhaps someone could make a vi out of the C code?

I'm using LV 7 Express.

Thanks for any help or advice...

MAH,

The NEMA GPS Standard is a serial comm message that the GPS outputs like a heartbeat. Many "USB" GPS systems actually are USB to serial converters.

To test this out - see if when you plug in the USB GPS - you get another Comm port showing in NI-MAX. If you DO NOT see this 'extra' serial port in MAX then they are doing something else... :ninja: It can be a royal pain the ###### to try to tiki to their DLL, or Active-X.

You may want to look at buying a simple NEMA compliant serial GPS system, in lieu to dinking with this.

You should re-search for "LabVIEW friendly GPSs" - or put up a post on info-LabVIEW. I never have more problems than trying to link software <-> software! :headbang:

Regards

Jack Hamilton

Thanks for replying Jack.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by NI-MAX. The name sounds and looks familiar to me, but I'm not sure about it. Where would I find this out and how to go about checking on what you asked. I've only been using LV for a few months, and most of that has been with modifying existing vi's.

I have posted a message on NI's forum, maybe someone there can help me out. I see they have a new vi for 7.1 that looks like it would do more than enough of what I need, it's for the serial port though and for 7.1. It be nice if they or someone would fix a version of this for a USB port and for 7.0.

Like I said, I have the SDK from Garmin, if that would help with anything, although I wouldn't be able to do much with it. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person out there looking for a USB GPS vi, I guess perhaps since the USB GPS is new, I must be!

As for right now, we just plan to run our Garmin software and the vi separate from each, side by side. This is fine, but we'd still like to work in the GPS features to the vi if possible.

Again, thanks for your reply!

I have a Garmin GPS18, and I found that the GPS will output data format is changeable, it will output data in Garmin Format, or NMEA, but not both at the same time.

Mine came from the factory sending data in the Garmin format instead of the NMEA format that I needed, so I had to change it using the software tool on the Garmin website. (go to <http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem/> and click on Downloads, and click on the Unit Software)

Second thing, is that your computer will make a "virtual serial port" after you install the drivers for the USB converter. You can use NI Measurement & Automation Explorer (NI-MAX) to check what serial ports are accessable in LabVIEW. You usually need to have the computer started with the USB converter in and working before Labview can access it.

Hope this helps,