G Code Manager

Known issues

v. 1.9.0.54

• Any editions (VI/Class description, icons) might not save after the project is closed.
    • Workaround: To ensure saving all the changes, use the Save All button in Project Explorer:
    • post-50361-0-52957200-1459951536.png
    • Comment: I did not noticed that because my normal workflow includes bashing Save All button whenever I'm done with anything (and sometimes just randomly) :)
Edited by PiDi

1. This looks great! Any attempt to reinvent the crusty LV IDE is fully supported here.

2. I was pleased to find this tool instead of another package manager when I clicked the link to this thread. Any reason you called it a "code manager"?

3. Are you actively developing it to address bugs like the one you posted today? Do you intend to invite community collaboration on the plugin framework?

Hey, Stobber, thanks for the reply!

1. We've been using this tool for some time at Veritech and I finally got myself to show it to the Community - I also presented it at the European CLA Summit just before posting it. If you like it and you think that it can save just a little bit of your precious time - that's fantastic! :)

2. Hmm, no, I can't give you any good reason for that other than "we've just chosen it and then moved on to our normal work". We've had a similar tool once which we called LabVIEW Code Manager, than this one took this name, then we renamed it to G Code Manager, so we won't have proprietary LabVIEW name. But I never thought why is it actually "Code Manager", and now you've got me to rethink the name again ;)

3. Yes and Yes. One of the main reasons I released it is that I want to get some good feedback to boost the developement. As for the community collaboration - I'm happy to hear any suggestions on any level, from bug reports and features requests to any architectural tips and minor tweaks somewhere deep in the code.

Oh, and I forgot to mention few things about it:

- you can open the main VI block diagram by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+E.

- you can open any plugin BD by right-clicking on empty space in the plugin and selecting Open Block Diagram (this is subpanel).

- none of the code is password protected

- it is intended to be free, open-source tool under GPL licence

- the code will be posted on github sooner than later (or as soon as I find some time to do it)

• Like 2

I've just uploaded new version 1.10 (see the updated first post). It comes with new plugin - Icon Editor, which currently allows to clear icon and edit its text:

post-50361-0-43157500-1460576949.png

I'm using this quickly edit my class members, when I don't have time to create fancy icons with glyphs. You can always double-click on Icon to open native Icon Editor.

At this moment I see 42 downloads of the first version, which is great :D But I'd love to see more feedback from you! ;) If you have any comments, issues, propositions, requests, questions, or you just like it/don't like it, or you don't know how to use it, let me know by commenting here!

Edited by PiDi
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New version 1.11.0 is added to the first post.

In the v.1.10 there was synchronization issue between plugins - after editing the icon with Icon Editor plugin, it wasn't updated in Basic Documentation, and vice versa. This is fixed now by making some changes to the events that plugin receives. I'll probably review the communication with plugins a few more times, so if you're trying to develop your own plugin and run into any problems - please contact me. I've also updated the "Your own plugin" part in the documentation (now with fancy sequence diagram!).

So, not many fireworks in this version, or at least the fireworks are hidden somewhere in block diagrams.

• 4 months later...

Hi Porter, I'm happy to hear that! Do you have any specific expectations for the next versions? Any features you'd like to see?

I have one cool feature coming already: the build specifications editor. So far it doesn't look very impressive, but everyone who's ever waited for LV to open exe/installer properties will understand this plugins hidden beauty ;) 

buildspec.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes. I usually forget to set the version number correctly because it such a pain to get to. I realize afterwards and have to re-build my application.

Other features that I'd like to see:

- Reentrancy, debugging, auto error handling settings for each VI (even if they are read-only)

- For a class, it would be very useful if you could rename all of the object in/out terminals of member VIs with the click of a button

On 31.10.2016 at 6:44 PM, Porter said:

- Reentrancy, debugging, auto error handling settings for each VI (even if they are read-only)

You mean like that? :) 

VIExecProperties.png\

On 31.10.2016 at 6:44 PM, Porter said:

- For a class, it would be very useful if you could rename all of the object in/out terminals of member VIs with the click of a button

I have it on my feature list, +1 point for it.

• Like 1

:thumbup1:

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I wonder how you handle forbidden combinations of:

- Preallocated clone execution when there are dynamic dispatch terminals

- Inline subVI into calling VI when there are dynamic dispatch terminals

- Inline subVI into calling VI when there are property nodes on the block diagram

- Inline subVI into calling VI with error handling

- Inline subVI into calling VI with non-reentrant execution

7 minutes ago, Porter said:

:thumbup1:

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I wonder how you handle forbidden combinations of:

- Preallocated clone execution when there are dynamic dispatch terminals

I think I'll just do what LabVIEW currently does - I'll let you set it and it'll break your VI :D

- Inline subVI into calling VI when there are dynamic dispatch terminals

- Inline subVI into calling VI when there are property nodes on the block diagram

- Inline subVI into calling VI with error handling

- Inline subVI into calling VI with non-reentrant execution

Easy - there is VI property "Inline Is Allowed", so if it will return false, I'll just disable Inline option.

Yeah I like that property, but there are still a few instances where a VI could be inlined, but doing so would effect the code in some way the developer needs to be aware of.  If you use the Call Chain primitive, then it will return one less level, if the VI is inlined.  I only say this so that others are aware that turning on inlining for all VIs that can be inlined, is not always a good idea.

7 hours ago, PiDi said:

I think I'll just do what LabVIEW currently does - I'll let you set it and it'll break your VI :D

Easy - there is VI property "Inline Is Allowed", so if it will return false, I'll just disable Inline option.

The nice thing to do would be try to make each change and if the VI breaks (and wasn't broken before) you can undo it.

The other thing is that there are really only a few possible combinations, so instead of replicating the horrible VI props menu you could make a list of possible combos...i did something like that here https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-43737
Its in the execute function (I wouldn't look at the menu maker function, its pretty gross)

Edited by smithd

Sorry to keep you waiting, but here it is: GCM 1.13.0 is available to download in the updated first post.

A few highlights:

1. Updated interface, it now takes a bit less of your precious screen space and looks just the same bit better (also - with the fancy Stay on top? button, thanks for the idea TMa!):

gcm_panel.png

2. New VI Execution Properties plugin (might have some issues, please let me know if you find any). Thanks to Dawid for help.

gcm_viexec.png

3. New VI Window Properties plugin (might have some issues, please let me know if you find any). Thanks to Dawid for help.

gcm_appearance.pnggcm_appearance.png

4. Added support for build specifications. The build specifications plugins that I mention before will be here soon (soon as in "a week or two", not as in "few months" :oops:)

5. And global thanks to May for flat controls and general UI ideas.

Download, install, use, have fun :) 

Edited by PiDi
  • Like 1

Version 1.14.0 is added to the first post. Fabiola suggested that it should open automatically when the project is opened, so you don't forget to actually use it. Fair point, so now we have GCM up and ready when the project is opened! :) If you don't like it though, you can turn this feature off in new settings screen:

gcm_settings.png

Also: here's the build specifications editor which I've mentioned. It works with exe and installer build specs and currently allows to change the version (with a little issue with Auto-increment option, described on the panel). Just download and install it, it should show up in GCM after installation.

veritech_lib_gcm_build_spec_editor-1.0.0.8.vip

exeprops.png\

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It would be nice to be able to modify .mnu palettes with the GCode manager. This way you don't need to add the palette to your palette set just to edit it (as you have to do with the built-in palette editor).

Shouldn't be too hard to implement 😜 There is a Palette API that ships with LabVIEW.