LAVA site upgraded - Feedback welcome.

On 24.4.2016 at 10:22 AM, Michael Aivaliotis said:

There's also a condensed view ...Perhaps that's better for you.

It is. I haven't really used it yet, but even a cursory glance is enough to tell that it's much better, even though it is slightly worse than the old version (mainly because of the text under the bullet). For those who want this, it's here:

Capture.PNG

On 24.4.2016 at 11:44 AM, ShaunR said:

Michael addressed #2 but as for #1 I think it won't matter in the not too distant future

I'm really hoping to avoid having to do that. While it's certainly a possibility, and I definitely agree with the "do something rather than complain" mentality, I figured I would start with voicing my dislike and seeing if that helps.

Mike, the email notifications are unclear to me. The site certainly doesn't respect my previous settings (I want to get emails for replies on threads I participated in, but I didn't get emails for any of the replies on this thread) and I'm not entirely sure how the current settings work. Some of them are marked as being disabled by the admin and I'm not sure what the correct setting is for getting emails. I did mark the "Notify me of replies" button when submitting the first reply and it looks like this is remembered for future threads as well, so I don't need to check it again, but I still didn't get the email. I'm assuming the relevant option is the "New content for things I follow" setting, but it is already checked now, and I'm not sure if I did it now or if it was already checked before I started playing with the settings.

1 hour ago, Yair said:

Mike, the email notifications are unclear to me. The site certainly doesn't respect my previous settings (I want to get emails for replies on threads I participated in, but I didn't get emails for any of the replies on this thread) and I'm not entirely sure how the current settings work. Some of them are marked as being disabled by the admin and I'm not sure what the correct setting is for getting emails. I did mark the "Notify me of replies" button when submitting the first reply and it looks like this is remembered for future threads as well, so I don't need to check it again, but I still didn't get the email. I'm assuming the relevant option is the "New content for things I follow" setting, but it is already checked now, and I'm not sure if I did it now or if it was already checked before I started playing with the settings.

Have you checked your settings here?: https://lavag.org/notifications/options/

email notifications were disabled for me, maybe it's the same for you too.

Yes. Notifications and emails.

There are only 3 things that interest me and they are all emails  

1. I receive a PM
  2. Someone replies to a topic I created
  3. Someone likes a post of mine.

Two out of those three are disabled by Admin so can we have them back please?

I have no interest in websites bugging me with in-in band notifications so that's just a wasted feature on me but it does show how acceptable remote code execution has become when it used to be considered malware :P.

Edited by ShaunR
18 minutes ago, LogMAN said:

Have you checked your settings here?: https://lavag.org/notifications/options/

I did. That's where the option I mentioned exists. It doesn't look like it helped, because I did get an email for your reply, but its title was the relatively useless "LogMAN quoted one of your posts" as opposed to the previous "New reply to xxx" title, which is the one I want, and as far as I can tell, can't actually be implemented. The email I did get was presumably because I checked the "someone quotes" option.

And a couple of other complaints about the unread content list:

LAVA.png

I would prefer a date and time on the last activity (although that's not really all that critical) and I thought I could ignore those separators, but when they start adding things by hour and today and yesterday it really gets annoying.

Edit: for comparison, here's the same page after adding the rule lavag.org##li.ipsStreamItem_time (which blocks these elements) to my adblocker:

LAVA2.png

Edited by Yair
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Yair said:

Edit: for comparison, here's the same page after adding the rule lavag.org##li.ipsStreamItem_time (which blocks these elements) to my adblocker:

I'm cool with listening to these suggestions and help hash them out here. But they won't get far with me. My years of of editing html and customizing stuff is years behind me. Not to mention I have to manage it when the site gets upgraded. If it's not baked into the framework, sorry.

So my suggestion is to go to the source here: https://invisionpower.com/forums/

Figure out how to provide feedback to them and perhaps they'll incorporate it into a future update.

==

Despite the visual difference to the old unread content page. I'd like to point out the superior filtering and customization of the results. In addition to the ability to create and save personalized streams. Click on "My Activity Streams" so see preconfigured streams. Then at the end you have "Create custom Stream" so you can customize the stream. Some of the choices have a little gear icon with more options. Then you can save it and I believe it has it's own RSS feed as well.

Also, what one person finds annoying, another person finds useful. I like the preview because you get to see a little preview of the post to identify if you need to go deeper or not. There are use-cases for both.

1 hour ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

If it's not baked into the framework, sorry.

Figure out how to provide feedback to them and perhaps they'll incorporate it into a future update.

The problem is that I have no idea what is or isn't baked in. I don't know which customization options are available with the IPS software. If you want to make me (or, better yet, ShaunR :D ) an admin, I'm sure this can be worked out.

1 hour ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

Also, what one person finds annoying, another person finds useful. I like the preview because you get to see a little preview of the post to identify if you need to go deeper or not. There are use-cases for both.

Agreed. I was just pointing out my perspective.

33 minutes ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

I just enabled everything. I think if you want an email for every reply. It's this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 10.11.19 PM.png

I have checked it now. We'll see if it works.

One change that's annoying me, maybe I'm missing the setting for it: from the unread content page, when I click on a topic, it takes me to the top of the topic rather than the first unread message. Is there some way to jump to the first new message in the discussion?