Test Sequence Stored on Server vs local

I am guessing this has been discussed on here before, but my search skills are failing me.

As we expand our company, we are now starting to use multiple suppliers for building (and testing) the same product.  Updating each test fixture by remotely logging in, copying over the new sequence files is going to become cumbersome.

We are discussing having the test sequence on a SQL server, in this instance since we already use SQL servers, and then the testers will then query the server based on part # and maybe some other information to get the proper sequence.  This way we just need to push the update from the master server at "headquarters" to the remote servers, and all the testers have the new sequence files.

Some features we are planning to have:

- effective date (when did the sequence go active, preserving all previous sequences).

- The test fixtures are on the same in house network as the remote servers, so unless the building loses power, there should be any significant latency or bad connections. (already in place)

Any big caveats to this method?  Other ways people have managed multiple sites?

For those who are better searchers, feel free to point me to other topics already discussing this.

Edited by dblk22vball

Think about using the sequence localy, but having a request to the server to validate if the local version is good. per example MD5 is a very good way to check if the local file is ok. The MD5 is saved on the server as well. By doing this, you reduce the data between the server and the client. It looks over kill, but it's a very efficient way to reduce the data that is sent to the server and then the server perform much faster. less data goes trough IT switch and the best advantage, in a case of lost link, you can decide to run with the local version. It's reduce the down time.

Regards

Benoit

• Like 2

I'd be wary of making a fully customer solution on your own. There are already good resources that can help you deploy and manage systems (and their components), so you can keep control of your test sequences, support files, drivers, etc, without having to design that stuff up front. Ultimately, this isn't a "test" challenge, it's an IT challenge, so I strongly suggest you engage with your company's IT department and ask how they would do it.

FWIW: Microsoft System Center is my solution of choice - you can manage systems across multiple sites/domains/companies, group them as like-types, push software updates (sequences, drivers, OS patches, etc), and it gives you a traceable environment so you can audit what system has what, with history (important if you get a recall or a batch of parts coming back for warranty repair).