LabVIEW Version Management Usage

Hi all,

have submitted this on info-labview, but would like to ask you as well.

Here it goes:

Although I am doing a one-man-show here, I am at the point now where a revision management system would be of significant help. So I'd like to do a short poll to the list for what revision control SW you use (if any), how you operate it and so on.

I'm especially interested in the following Qs:

1. What system do you use, which version?

2. Can this system be integrated into LabVIEW or does it just handle complete VIs?

3. Does your configuration use a storage place on localhost or on a server, and if so, on a LAN or on the net?

4. Do you operate this with multi-user-setups?

5. Do other potential users/colleagues use different IDEs and compilers?

6. How much was it?

7. Any pitfalls/suggestions/infos?

PLEASE RESPOND TO MY LOCAL ADDRESS uwe.frenz@getemed.de as I would like to summarize the responses.

I'll summarize the -hopefully a lot of- answers within a relatively short period - say 1 or 2 weeks) and publish this here.

Greetings from Germany!

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
1. What system do you use, which version?

2. Can this system be integrated into LabVIEW or does it just handle complete VIs?

3. Does your configuration use a storage place on localhost or on a server, and if so, on a LAN or on the net?

4. Do you operate this with multi-user-setups?

5. Do other potential users/colleagues use different IDEs and compilers?

6. How much was it?

7. Any pitfalls/suggestions/infos?

I use SVN sub version as archive backend but with TortoiseSVN as frontend. TortoiseSVN is a plug-in to windows explorer so you can manage revisioning from the explorer. I.e. completely independent of LV in fact.

As you probably know by now, LV8.0 has a built in interface to version management systems which exposes the Microsoft Common Source Code Control interface aka. SCC. This is not supported by SVN or TortoiseSVN but you can put a layer between SVN and SCC. For instance PushOk's svnscc makes interface with LV posible although somewhat limited in functionality compared to TortoiseSVN. Unfortunately LV compare vi's does not work with svnscc as LV seems not to make a VI_compare.exe available :question: . You can "manually" compare VI's from inside LV but this is VERY tedious.

The nice thing with SVN/TortoiseSVN is that it works very well and is open source! Down side is as mentioned the lack of direct LV interface. Hopefully NI/LV dev team will see an interst in also supporting this interface.

Repository in SVN/TortoiseSVN can be on a local filesystem, server file system or an Apache web server. SVN's hallmark is the ability to allow multiple users to work on one source file at the same time, but in the case of LV this is useless as the concept of merging changes is imposible. So you will need to base your revision sharing on locking of files. This is indeed posible in SVN.

henning