access front panel data value of clone vi

jj321

jj321, My guess is that I am not the only person looking at your posting and wondering what will happen if I download and open/run your VI. If you are looking for a response it may be better to post a screen shot of your code and provide a little more background information.

If you are curious, here are why my alarm bells are ringing; you have never posted to the group before, the one liner description is scant on details, your user name makes me think you are hiding something, etc. In other words, your posting appears to have the potential to do my computer harm and will be treated as such by me. I suspect anyone else who is worried about downloading suspicious content will do the same. Based on the above I will be pressing the 'Report this Post' button.

If someone has downloaded the VI and sees no problems, please let us know.

39 minutes ago, austinman said:

jj321, My guess is that I am not the only person looking at your posting and wondering what will happen if I download and open/run your VI. If you are looking for a response it may be better to post a screen shot of your code and provide a little more background information.

If you are curious, here are why my alarm bells are ringing; you have never posted to the group before, the one liner description is scant on details, your user name makes me think you are hiding something, etc. In other words, your posting appears to have the potential to do my computer harm and will be treated as such by me. I suspect anyone else who is worried about downloading suspicious content will do the same. Based on the above I will be pressing the 'Report this Post' button.

If someone has downloaded the VI and sees no problems, please let us know.

The VI does exactly what jj321 said it does, access the control of a clone VI. I think the reason why nobody is answering is because there is no question, just someone sharing news with everyone :thumbup1:

Here is the snippet of the VI:

Get FP data.png

I don't know why anybody would want to access the controls of a clone VI like that since you would normally pass data while calling it. On the other hand if you need access to information from the VI there are other ways like notifier or queues. I have used a similar approach to call LabVIEW applications via ActiveX and sending information between the caller and the executable, but never from within LabVIEW...

@jj321 would you care to explain the use-case of your VI?

Edited by LogMAN
Fixing typos (maybe I should do that before posting?)
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Sorry about minimal description. The slight "trick" is that the clone vi needs a name as a string where as a non clone vi can be open referenced with using a labview file path datatype. Maybe obvious to many but wasn't to me so it took me hours to figure that out and figured I would save someone time since I could not find it easily.

The case structure just selects the string name of the VI clone if its a clone VI or the file path if its a non clone VI.

The use case is scripting an interactive i.e front panel event driven VI that is already written for bench top use and later needs to be run in automated fashion with parameter sweeps controlled by another VI. I don't have time to rewrite a front panel event driven VI which happens to use re-entrant and thus clone subVI's that have most of the useful info that I need to access.