How to turn off diagram dancing in LV2016

I've looked through the options but can't find one to turn off the new 2016 feature of the whole digram going haywire when moving an object. It makes it completely unusable for me.

What genius thought this was an "improvement"?

And how do I get back a compact view of the icons rather than the screen hog version?

Untitled.png

.Rolf knows me well.

Edited by ShaunR

I enjoy the 'dancing' so far, although I haven't used it for anything real. The icons are annoying though, and kind of ugly. I also really wish the various toolbar buttons could go back to being proper buttons with outlines you can see. Labview looks old, I think we've all accepted that fact. Trying to pretty it up by changing some icons is just odd.

Edited by smithd
4 hours ago, smithd said:

I enjoy the 'dancing' so far, although I haven't used it for anything real. The icons are annoying though, and kind of ugly. I also really wish the various toolbar buttons could go back to being proper buttons with outlines you can see. Labview looks old, I think we've all accepted that fact. Trying to pretty it up by changing some icons is just odd.

Rule #1 about drag and drop. Don't move the drop target when they are dragging ;) It's going to get very old very quickly.

Anyway. that's probably the least of our worries. In their infinite wisdom they have hobbled the TCPIP Vis in a way that means you can't write multi client servers (like websockets). So it's definitely another year with 2009.

That sounds like some vary valuable feedback that I'm sure NI would have appreciated in February when the beta opened...

But to be less snarky some of the complains you have were brought up in the beta, I especially share the comment about wasted space.  The Drag and Drop however I don't have much of a problem with.  I have yet to notice an impact on my development style, if anything I think it is an improvement but that's just me.

Honestly 2016 isn't full of major changes.  The addition of Channel Wires (officially) is one of the few major improvements but it isn't doing anything functionally you couldn't have done before.  The other major point I remember is the greedy or not greedy selection (I think it is shift).  Beyond that the inclusion of the Type Enabled Structure (no name officially) that Jeff K eluded to is neat, but of course has a limited use.  Having VI Macros be slightly more official is nice too.  Just name a VI, a VIM and drag it to your block diagram and it works, no INI keys needed.  Of course some INI keys are useful for debug.  The initiative to have more support for 64 bit has continued too with a few toolkits I actually use.  There is also the IPE structure for Variant support, of which I haven't benchmarked yet but intend on using.  I remember hearing a few new right click menu options were added, like convert to color box and back for constants.  There are of course other features that I heard about, but are pretty specific and fixes or improvements for hardware.

In general if I were an independent developer and needed to spend an extra few thousand dollars for 2016 I wouldn't justify it given the preview program I hope you now understand maybe a bit why releases have been light on the new features.  But if I were stuck on 2009, I could justify the cost of upgrading.  Far too many of my applications use some newer features that would make life a bit of a pain for sure.  Oh and to answer your original question I don't know of any config or INI setting that changes the functionality.

18 minutes ago, hooovahh said:

That sounds like some vary valuable feedback that I'm sure NI would have appreciated in February when the beta opened...

But to be less snarky some of the complains you have were brought up in the beta, I especially share the comment about wasted space.  The Drag and Drop however I don't have much of a problem with.  I have yet to notice an impact on my development style, if anything I think it is an improvement but that's just me.

Honestly 2016 isn't full of major changes.  The addition of Channel Wires (officially) is one of the few major improvements but it isn't doing anything functionally you couldn't have done before.  The other major point I remember is the greedy or not greedy selection (I think it is shift).  Beyond that the inclusion of the Type Enabled Structure (no name officially) that Jeff K eluded to is neat, but of course has a limited use.  Having VI Macros be slightly more official is nice too.  Just name a VI, a VIM and drag it to your block diagram and it works, no INI keys needed.  Of course some INI keys are useful for debug.  The initiative to have more support for 64 bit has continued too with a few toolkits I actually use.  There is also the IPE structure for Variant support, of which I haven't benchmarked yet but intend on using.  I remember hearing a few new right click menu options were added, like convert to color box and back for constants.  There are of course other features that I heard about, but are pretty specific and fixes or improvements for hardware.

In general if I were an independent developer and needed to spend an extra few thousand dollars for 2016 I wouldn't justify it given the preview program I hope you now understand maybe a bit why releases have been light on the new features.  But if I were stuck on 2009, I could justify the cost of upgrading.  Far too many of my applications use some newer features that would make life a bit of a pain for sure.  Oh and to answer your original question I don't know of any config or INI setting that changes the functionality.

FYI. I'm not stuck on 2009. There's has been nothing been added since 2009 that warrants the upgrade risk and 2009 is superior in almost all respects (stability, performance, no 1024 TCPIP limit ;) ). In fact most of my toolkits are LV2012 and later but I develop them in 2009.

But you are wrong. A lot has changed. They have dropped Linux and Mac 32 bit. Linux 64 bit was only supported in very recent versions (2015?) so all those with production machines(<2015?) have no upgrade path apart from reinstall the OS. They've crippled the TCPIP on windows - for what? To rationalise a platform limitation that was circumvented over a decade ago?

This will make you cry too. Linux has got UTF 8 support while Windows can go suck eggs :D

P.S. You can be as snarky as you want :D

23 hours ago, ShaunR said:

And how do I get back a compact view of the icons rather than the screen hog version?

You don't understand: This IS the compact view (though the icons looked way smaller on a 4K monitor)... how very strange...

Seriously though for long-term user like us it doesn't look very appealing, but it might help attract new customer/user in the future. Nowadays everything is about how it looks, so NI would be stupid not to develop in that direction. Also there is one bright side: Now everyone got a reason to make use of QD. :D

23 hours ago, ShaunR said:

I've looked through the options but can't find one to turn off the new 2016 feature of the whole digram going haywire when moving an object. It makes it completely unusable for me.

What genius thought this was an "improvement"?

Not sure if this is what you meant, but it looks like a bug(feature). Do this:

• Create a new VI,
  • place a structure (while loop),
  • insert one or two functions IN the structure (no need to connect them),
  • select both (all) and begin dragging so they come close to an edge of the structure,
  • while still holding the left mouse button (dragging) press and hold space (sometimes you'll have to keep moving the mouse and let go of space)

This is how you grow your diagrams now :lol:

• Like 1

Oh come on how can you not like quick drop. I don't use it if I'm making something from scratch but it has way too many features to just dismiss like that. Right click in 2015 replaces some of the features but quick drop is still useful.

Yes I was just thinking that -- how could the beta testers let this through :)

The TCP thing is the only real killer. I wonder if its hardcoded into labview in some way, or if they just updated the sockets to a newer implementation so if you change the OS-level settings it will work.

(http://serverfault.com/questions/48717/practical-maximum-open-file-descriptors-ulimit-n-for-a-high-volume-system)

Edited by smithd
On 8/5/2016 at 5:09 PM, smithd said:

Oh come on how can you not like quick drop. I don't use it if I'm making something from scratch but it has way too many features to just dismiss like that. Right click in 2015 replaces some of the features but quick drop is still useful.

It's not that I don't like it. It's that it's not useful to me. I don't know what the primitives are called but I know exactly where they are in the menus-IT'S A VISUAL LANGUAGE! :P  I call this Untitled.png "The Chooser", for example. I'd have to open LabVIEW and mouse over it to find out what it's actually called :lol: (and then I'd immediately forget). Words is hard!

Yes I was just thinking that -- how could the beta testers let this through :)

Beta testing isn't a focus group :P That's the idea exchange.

The TCP thing is the only real killer. I wonder if its hardcoded into labview in some way, or if they just updated the sockets to a newer implementation so if you change the OS-level settings it will work.

It must be hard coded because it only effects the TCPIP pimitives - not networks streams etc. This is a deal breaker for me and for what? Because "Select" on *nix systems only supports 1024?. On Linux they have gotten around it by using poll and epoll so why not upgrade the *nix platform to more than 1024 instead of downgrading Windows? On Linux you just simply recompile, right? :D This the worst type of specmanship

9 hours ago, ShaunR said:

I call this Untitled.png "The Chooser", for example.

Perfect, then just make a shortcut for "Chooser" or "CH" or whatever you want, now you can type that instead of traversing the palette.

BTW I know you have tough skin, but I don't want to be unnecessarily harsh or snarky.  All the benefits of 2009 you mention are things that I have no interest in.  But the benefits I've seen in the last 7 years are things I use daily.  This is probably short sighted, but if NI decided to only support Windows, and only support 64 bit, I think they would benefit overall.  They would upset a few percentage of the user base, but cut out a decent percentage of regression testing and development.  Now if I were in that few percentage of the user base I admit I wouldn't be happy. 

From one year to the next I agree with you about upgrades.  If you are on 2009 no need to pay the multiple thousands of dollars to upgrade to 2010.  But if I were on 2009 I could justify the cost of upgrading, assuming I don't have the limiting issues you mentioned.

13 hours ago, hooovahh said:

Perfect, then just make a shortcut for "Chooser" or "CH" or whatever you want, now you can type that instead of traversing the palette.

So now you want me to learn how to make shortcuts I don't use as well? The list goes on.... :D Next you'll be telling me to learn to type with all my fingers :P 

5 hours ago, smithd said:

I think we now need to google bomb the labview search until select shows up as "The Chooser" :D

Do people still use Google? :rolleyes: