Broken VIM "Log: Missing Callee"

jacobson

I am getting this strange error whenever I try to drop a .vim into a VI that is saved. If the VI is not saved, everything seems to work but as soon as I save it and try to drop in a .vim, I receive this edit time error.

missing callee.png

This happens to any .vim file, even blank ones that I have just created. If I double click on the error then it will highlight a specific object that I can delete but the object is otherwise invisible and unclickable. This started happening right after I tried to add a VIM through scripting. I can actually still add a VIM through scripting but it has some pretty interesting context help.

wut.png

So I guess the question of the post is what the heck did I do and how can I get LabVIEW to start behaving again.

Clearing the cache didn't seem to do it.

After looking into this more, the error is being thrown by the VIM xnode but I'm still not sure under what conditions it throws that error. I also think the strange context help message is just what shows up if the context help of the VIM you drop is blank.

• 4 weeks later...

To follow up on this thread, the error above only seems to appear in LabVIEW 2016 if the .vim is dragged onto a saved block diagram from windows explorer and has been reproducible on multiple computers. You are still able to use VI macros either by scripting them onto the block diagram or dropping one from the palette (add it to user.lib as JeffK originally suggested).

This behavior is not the same as it was in LabVIEW 2015 SP1 or earlier which was confusing for me.

20 hours ago, Steen Schmidt said:

I think I made that error go away by adding "ExternalNodesEnabled=True" to the LabVIEW.ini file, even though that shouldn't be necessary any longer from LabVIEW 2016?

Nope, didn't help after all. I get a huge number of Log: Missing Callee in 2016.

In fact, 2016 seems quite unstable, or perhaps it's just because of VIMs. I'll try porting my code back to 2015, even though that means pulling out my Type Enabled Structures :-/

Dragging a vim onto a diagram from windows explorer goes through a different code path which is apparently not working so I would avoid doing that for now.  I believe everything works when dropping a vim from a palette or selecting it from the palette "Select a VI..." item.  In the latter case you will have to Enable "All Documents" in the dialog box.

The "Log: Missing Callee" error happens every time you drag a VIM onto a saved VI's BD. As long as the caller isn't saved, you can drag VIMs onto its BD all you want. That's the difference as far as I can tell, and it has been so at least back from LV 2012 (didn't feel like trying further back).

It seems like a reference mistake in the VIM builder XNode, but I can't edit that, so I can't attempt to fix it. I know of someone who can though ;-)

Edited by Steen Schmidt