XNode Owning Diagram

jacobmd

Hello,

Has anyone tried to obtain the path to the VI that called an Xnode? I've gone through most of the Xnode abilities and it seems the only one that actually provides me with the correct VI path is "OnOwnerChange", which provides me with a reference to the "Owning Diagram". I was hoping to get the path on Initialize or Drop so that I can save it into the Xnode's data. 

The main idea behind this is that I want to create an Xnode with a list of acceptable inputs. The list of acceptable inputs would be stored in a text file in the same folder as the calling VI, and the Xnode would read from that list and allow the user to pick one. The acceptable inputs would change from project to project so I can't save the text file in a generic location.

Any ideas?

You should be able to use the OwningVI property (and then VI Path/Name or similar) wired to the XNode ref in an OnDrop Ability VI. It won't work in Initialize which is called before the XNode is dropped, so the VI is not known then.  Also, no VI name/path is known if the VI is not already saved, which could be common.  You may be able to check the Library of the OwningVI for it's project/class which may be helpful.

XNodeOwningVI.png

XNode OwningVI.png

Edited by GregSands
  • Like 1

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much.

The weird thing is that when I wire up a Property Node to the XNode ref, it says there are no properties available. I wasn't able to copy your Property Node onto my block diagram so I wired up the XNode ref to a Property Node via a To More Generic Class. This allowed me access to all the properties and then I was able to remove the To More Generic Class without errors.  

Because the XNode features of LabVIEW require a special license by NI, these properties and methods won't be listed on the XNode, or XNode Library class, but these functions do work.  I made a post about this a while ago, and showed how to create these functions in vanilla LabVIEW if you use scripting, or use the QuickDrop function and know the name of the property or method you want.  The code I posted also can create a new VI, or place the hidden property or method in your clipboard.

I also posted a VI with all the properties and methods that scripting can make which you can use and copy into a VI and use.

• Like 2