LV2016 - No Windows 7 support?!?!?

Sensational title much?  It still supports Windows 7 SP1, I've built EXE in LabVIEW 2016 32-bit on Windows 7 SP1 x64 without any issue.  I've also built applications in LabVIEW 2015 SP1 32-bit, that have 16.0 dependency drivers, and that builds and deploys to Windows 7 SP1 x64 without any issue.

As mentioned in that thread dropping OS support should be made more obvious, but this is really Windows 7 SP0 and older that official support is dropped for.

Well its kind of a weird distinction, what works in sp1 that doesn't in rtm? And if everything still works then why break it (I say break it because you are not even permitted to try to install the drivers). 

I can't be sure of the accuracy of this (https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0) but it says XP is as 9%, so OK, but win 7 is at nearly 50% of all computers. It doesn't specify service pack but based on the XP numbers I'd guess NI just dropped support for maybe 20-25% of all computers in the world, overnight, without being clear and up front about it. 

Edited by smithd

I think 20%-25% might be over estimating it a bit.  9% XP, 1% Vista, and sure 50% Windows 7, but if they are connected to the internet it should be SP1.  But it's hard to say, especially in the test system fields, where older machines are more common than consumer devices, and being isolated from the internet is more common than a consumer PC.  Still I consider myself up on the latest updates of NI and LabVIEW and this was the first I'd heard about it.  "Not being clear and upfront" is an understatement. 

BTW that's a neat site.

• Like 1