Read national text from MS Word document

_Y_

I need to "extract" text from MS Word document (no formatting, just plain text). Unfortunately, methods that I found allow to get only conventional LabVIEW string where all national characters and symbols are lost. Each such a character is replaced with code of question mark.

Is there any way to read national text from MS Word? I would be happy to get it in any format; for example as U16 array of Unicode symbols, or U8 array with two values per symbol, or any other. I would also be happy with any Word format: doc or docx.

Thank you

Edited by _Y_

Can you interact with Word (using ActiveX) and save as a text file? Then you can read the text file as pure bytes and interpret as UTF-8. I have done something similar whereby I allow a GUI to be translated "on-the-fly" into different languages, stored as UTF-8 text files.

Edited by Neil Pate

Oh.I thought you had already obtained the text since you stated it looks like a series of question marks (so just needed to convert it)

LabVIEW is shipped with some automation examples. The one below (from the examples) interacts with Excel but the principle is the same. I couldn't find any examples of Ms Word without the Report Toolkit because most interaction with MS products is generally the other way - writing reports. 

I don't have M$ products installed to knock up a quick example, unfortunately.

Untitled.png