Get error while writing to COM

tengels

Hi there,

I need some help!!! I want to read a displacementsensor through serial communication.

But i get a timeout error when the Visa is sending the string to the displacement sensor.

I've tried to enlarge the timeout with a property node. Still no result.

The string I'm sending is correct because it works if I use program hyperterminal to communicate with the sensor.

Please HELP somebody, I am probably doing something wrong and can figure it out. :headbang:

The VI is attached.

The error will occur in the VISA write (error 1073807339)

THNX

Download File:post-1757-1112791619.vi

just out of curiosity, are you sure there's no need for a termination character? <cr> or <lf> can be appended to your command string if necessary.

Regis

Hi there,

I need some help!!!  I want to read a displacementsensor through serial communication.

But i get a timeout error when the Visa is sending the string to the displacement sensor.

I've tried to enlarge the timeout with a property node. Still no result.

The string I'm sending is correct because it works if I use program hyperterminal to communicate with the sensor.

Please HELP somebody, I am probably doing something wrong and can figure it out. :headbang:

The VI is attached.

The error will occur in the VISA write (error 1073807339)

THNX

4449[/snapback]

I would agree with regis. The sensor needs something to tell it that the string is complete.

If it is not a LF or CR it could be a non printable character like hex 03.

Hyperterminal may be appending a nonprintable without you realizing it.

One of the programs I use is called port monitor.

It shows exactly what is being written and read from the serial port.

you can download it here

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/portmon.shtml

I would start portmon and then use hyperterminal and see what characters are being passed back and forth.

good luck.

just out of curiosity, are you sure there's no need for a termination character?  <cr> or <lf> can be appended to your command string if necessary.

Regis

4451[/snapback]

That would be a little strange it seems. Also you should consider that Hyperterminal actually adds a carriage return/line feed automatically to every line (after all you pressed the return key to tell it to send the string and the return key at least under DOS/Windows is equivalent to carriage return+line feed).

Rolf Kalbermatter

That would be a little strange it seems. Also you should consider that Hyperterminal actually adds a carriage return/line feed automatically to every line (after all you pressed the return key to tell it to send the string and the return key at least under DOS/Windows is equivalent to carriage return+line feed).

Rolf Kalbermatter

4554[/snapback]

Oops this was meant to be a reply to the previous message.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I would agree with regis. The sensor needs something to tell it that the string is complete.

If it is not a LF or CR it could be a non printable character like  hex 03.

Hyperterminal may be appending a nonprintable without you realizing it.

One of the programs I use is called port monitor.

It shows exactly what is being written and read from the serial port.

you can download it here

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/portmon.shtml

I would start portmon and then use hyperterminal and see what characters are being passed back and forth.

good luck.

4515[/snapback]

Thnx mballa with the monoitor I found out there was a non printable character. With the character the program works fine now.

greetings Theo

:thumbup: