Labview randomly goes into a stepthrough/execution highlighting modde

parsec

I am experiencing a very odd issue when running a VI for a long period of time in the dev environment. After some time the VI goes into this slow stepthrough mode, reminiscent of how subvis are highlighted when an error is found.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, how can I fix it?

Additionally, I am encountering an issue where the main VI takes a long time to close, often crashing labview when the abort button is used. The two issues seem to be related.

Video attached.

VID_20170128_141552.mp4

On 1/28/2017 at 9:36 AM, parsec said:

I am experiencing a very odd issue when running a VI for a long period of time in the dev environment. After some time the VI goes into this slow stepthrough mode, reminiscent of how subvis are highlighted when an error is found.

The video shows that the nodes that get highlighted are those that take references as inputs. So, I'm guessing that your reference(s) became invalid somehow. I'm not sure why no error messages pop up though -- did you disable those?

Wire the error outputs of those highlighted nodes into a Simple Error Handler subVI. What do you see?

On 1/28/2017 at 9:36 AM, parsec said:

Additionally, I am encountering an issue where the main VI takes a long time to close, often crashing labview when the abort button is used. The two issues seem to be related.

It's hard to say without seeing your code in detail.

Anyway, may I ask why you use the abort button? That can destabilize LabVIEW. It's safer to add a proper "Stop" button to your code

• 1 month later...

Well, as already mentioned it is hard to say anything specific here from just watching that spastic movie.

I haven't seen spontaneous execution highlighting myself, but your mentioning that shutting down the application can take very long and usually crashes, would support the possibility that you have Call Library Nodes in your application that are not correctly configured and when they get called, they consistently trash your memory in a certain way. Buffer overflows are the most common problem happening here, where you do not provide (large enough) buffers to the Call Library Node parameters for the shared library who wants to write information in there. This will result in corrupted memory and the possible outcome can be anything from an immediate crash to a delayed crash at a later seemingly unrelated point in time, including when you shutdown LabVIEW, and then while it tries to clean up the memory, it stumbles over trashed pointers and data objects. It also could sneakily overwrite memory that is used in calculations in your application and in that way produce slightly to wildly different results, than what you expect, or as in this case write over the memory that controls the execution highlighting.

So check your application for VIs containing Call Library Nodes (and while the NI drivers do use quite a lot of Call  Library Nodes, you should in a first scan disregard them, they are generally very well debugged and and many million times tried, so it is unlikely that something is wrong in that part unless you got a corrupted installation somehow.

Then when you located the parts in your application that might be the culprit, start disabling sections of your code using the conditional disable structure until you don't see any strange happenings including no crash or similar thing during the exit of LabVIEW.

Edited by rolfk