LabVIEW on Ubuntu

Muhammad AshRy

I have LV12, 13, 14, 15 on my desktop (probably ubuntu 12 release upgraded to 14) and 14, 15, 16 on my laptop (ubuntu 14 upgraded to 16). So possible it is possible. How do I do, I forget year after year, immediately after I succeed. IIRC it usually involves an "Oh, ./INSTALL.sh gives an obscure ]] not expected syntax error", and an "ok, let's copy all the *.rpm to /tmp and alien -i them". On those two systems I can confirm the installations survive to distribution upgrades, the files just sit in /usr/local/natinst/. I usually never bother to get VISA really working, I only use the installations for code-checking and algo developement, GUI without being too picky about font look (which however somewhat improved with 2016). If I'd be to bother about VISA, I think I always stumbled in noncompilable kernel modules. Maybe the last time I somehow succeeded in having VISA working on a nonsupported distro was in 2008.

1 hour ago, ensegre said:

I have LV12, 13, 14, 15 on my desktop (probably ubuntu 12 release upgraded to 14) and 14, 15, 16 on my laptop (ubuntu 14 upgraded to 16). So possible it is possible. How do I do, I forget year after year, immediately after I succeed. IIRC it usually involves an "Oh, ./INSTALL.sh gives an obscure ]] not expected syntax error", and an "ok, let's copy all the *.rpm to /tmp and alien -i them". On those two systems I can confirm the installations survive to distribution upgrades, the files just sit in /usr/local/natinst/. I usually never bother to get VISA really working, I only use the installations for code-checking and algo developement, GUI without being too picky about font look (which however somewhat improved with 2016). If I'd be to bother about VISA, I think I always stumbled in noncompilable kernel modules. Maybe the last time I somehow succeeded in having VISA working on a nonsupported distro was in 2008.

I'm exactly the same. You end up trying so many different things to get it to work you don't really know what parts were crucial. Rabbit hole after rabbit hole.  Mine isn't Ubuntu but Centos which is supported but even that wasn't trivial. When they say "supported" they mean you can phone up to get support and not get stone-walled :lol:

I had to install LV2012 on Centos 7.2 (64bit with Gnome) this time around. Previously I stuck religiously to OpenSuse 32bit with KDE because that just worked out of the box. The main things I remember this time round are that I had to [first find then] install the relevant 32 bit libraries piece-by-piece (2012 is only 32 bit on Linux) as the installer complained about them. Then I had to symlink them because it still couldn't find them. Then MESA (whatever that is) and finally the kernel source to get VISA. This was over the period of about 2 days trying different things and I'm sure some of the stuff I tried, but can't remember, contributed to the final success.

Edited by ShaunR

I'd rather say, instead, that my pain experiences were with older versions and RH based distros like CentOS. There I remember having to fiddle with the C of some sources, guessing from parallel reports on the ni site, and yes, hardlinking the right MESA (it's an OpenGL emulation library) or something the like. As a reminder to myself, former noise of mine on the dark side, Re: nikal on 2.6.17 kernel, Re: NIDAQmx on Fedora Core 5 How-To.

With newer versions it got less and less painful; if anything, barely little more than aliening the rpms. Of course as long as you're not serious about hardware support.

just tried on my laptop to confirm:

sudo ./INSTALL <--nodeps>

works for 2016 64b and 32b, and for NIVISA1600L. However visaconf, etc, as well as LV VIs rererencing VISA coredump even after updateNIDrivers and reboot. Excellent opportunity to confirm that also sudo NIVISA1600L/UNINSTALL works.