Navigation by TAB from Text-Entry Box

On my Front Panel I have mostly buttons. Buttons and a single Input box for typing serial number. That single Input box feels like a stumbling block to users who habitually TAB their way from widget to widget. They stumble because, after typing the serial number into the box, they can't TAB their way out. Instead (of course, to my way of thinking) the Input box accepts the TAB as a character (rather than interpret it as a command). It bothers some (unreasonably, to my way of thinking) that they should have to press Enter, rather than TAB, to exit that box. What they want is to press TAB and have the data be entered, plus take them to the next widget (a Button).

So my question here is, can I make that happen for them? Can I make TAB perform like Enter while inside an Input box? Or should I just insist they get used to Input boxes requiring Enter?

Edited by Gan Uesli Starling

You can handle a Key Down? filter event for that input box, and check if the key was Tab. A filter event allows you to change parameters of the event before it's handled, so you can change the Tab to Enter, then allow the event to process normally. Or, slightly more complicated, you can discard the event if Tab is pressed, and change the focus to the next item (if you want to be extra clever, also handle the shift-tab case for going to the previous item).

• Like 1