Type Def Revision History bug

dhuff

I found a strange bug where saving or updating custom Type Defs will not change their revision numbers, and I was wondering if anybody else has seen it as well.

It appears that the revision history does not update when you modify them, and it does NOT prompt the user for description when one is changed. So if one of the people working on a HUGE vi project changes your defined Type Def, ALL vi's will see something has changed in the type def, but you are probably out of luck figuring out what changed in the type def.

Here is the sequence to follow to find it

1. Go into the Labview Revision control options menu (Tools>>Options>>Revision History

2. Set the following options True (checked), Add Entry Each time VI is Saved, Prompt for a Comment When VI is Saved, Show Revision Number in Titlebar

3. Restart Labview so the options above take effect

4. Make a new VI, then place a new Enum on the front panel

5. Right Click on it, and Click Advanced >> Customize

6. Edit the items in the Enum, add 1 or 2 options

7. Change the pull down menu to Strict Type Def, and save it

8. Close Labview, then double click on your new type def control to open it again

9. Edit the items in the Enum, and resave it. Notice that THE REVISION NUMBER DID NOT change

10 Repeat steps 8 & 9 as many times as you want, the revision will NOT change, and you will not get the Revision History nag screen to enter comments

I tried with Enums, Text Rings, and Menu Rings, they all show the same problem. You can also use both Strict Type Defs, and regular Type Defs, the result is the same.

This was done using Labview 7.1.1 on WinXP.