CLD Exam: Worth it?

Hello everyone,

I am planning to give CLD exam but my question is: is this certification make any significase difference ?

If yes, then where can I find proper guidance for preparation of this exam.

Thanks.

My answer is, "it depends". I work primarily with production in the automotive industry; with my customers a CLD has no meaning when we try and get new work so there is little to no value there. If I was looking for a new job then a CLD would be something significant particularly if I can attach a significant number of years to it. If I worked for a company that primarily sold software, then (at minimum) a CLD would be critical.

• Like 1

It really depends on your current situation and your future aspirations with LabVIEW in my opinion.

In my case, I let my CLD certification expire a couple of years ago.  I've been working for the same company for 13 years and having the certification didn't benefit me in any way aside from being able to prove a level of LabVIEW programming competency and provide a sense of achievement for myself.  To date, my reputation as the "resident LabVIEW guru" has been more beneficial to me in my job than having my CLD was. 

Since my company is always 2-3 LabVIEW versions behind the latest releases, I was struggling during re-certification since the exams weigh heavily on having the knowledge of the latest features and functions.  It ended up being more of a pain to me than it was worth, so I just let it expire.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, smithd said:

Which is funny because when I took them, I thought the CLD was much harder than the CLA.

That makes me think that maybe your role is more of an architect than a developer.  I didn't find the CLD very difficult personally.  It was just a single loop QMH using arrays of strings, and I finished early and spent the extra time double checking my work.  The CLA I barely passed, and worked up to the last minute.

16 hours ago, hooovahh said:

That makes me think that maybe your role is more of an architect than a developer.  I didn't find the CLD very difficult personally.  It was just a single loop QMH using arrays of strings, and I finished early and spent the extra time double checking my work.  The CLA I barely passed, and worked up to the last minute.

Well I had a reply but the website did that thing where hitting submit fails and I lost it. The short version is:

-I know they adjust the difficulty pretty regularly, and I know they did so not long after I took my CLD, so maybe thats the difference.

Edited by smithd
On 6/9/2017 at 9:21 PM, smithd said:

Well I had a reply but the website did that thing where hitting submit fails and I lost it.

I know this is off topic but I do see this issue once in a while but on Chrome when this happens for me, it doesn't do anything and my text is still there, so I just copy it, refresh the page, and make a new post pasting it in.  Are you saying you hit submit, the page refreshes, but your post isn't there?  Not that I'm equipped to troubleshoot these types of issues.

1 hour ago, hooovahh said:

I know this is off topic but I do see this issue once in a while but on Chrome when this happens for me, it doesn't do anything and my text is still there, so I just copy it, refresh the page, and make a new post pasting it in.  Are you saying you hit submit, the page refreshes, but your post isn't there?  Not that I'm equipped to troubleshoot these types of issues.

It's because the session times out. There are many quirks like the button not operating, attachment uploads fail  and of course the autosave....doesn't. If you "gesture back" or press back then all is lost and I too have written a novel as a reply and lost the lot..usually at least once a week. Refreshing and pasting is also problematic when there are quotes that you've replied to.

Edited by ShaunR
3 hours ago, hooovahh said:

usually when i hit submit and it fails it at least saves the latest draft, and refreshing the page goes right back to the draft. this time that failed. its the same general behavior you see.

Edited by smithd