Directshow Video Rendering

I have a BlackMagic UltraStudio SDI device that connects to a PC via USB3 and provides SDI video input and output. 

I was hoping to be able to generate AVI files in LV and render them via DirectShow to the SDI output but so far I can only get this to work in 3rd party video application software.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using the DirectShow interfaces in LabVIEW and if they would care to offer some tips or example code. 

I was relatively happy using a couple of third party activex controls to acquire and playback for a similar scenario (different hardware):

http://www.viscomsoft.com/products/videocap  ~175$ (single developer)

http://www.viscomsoft.com/products/movieplayer ~75$ (single developer)

I don't have any code available, but it was pretty easy to follow their example code for VB and convert it to LabVIEW.   

3 hours ago, viSci said:

Thanks for the links.  Took a peek but did not see any examples or API's of how to stream video to a directshow output device.

Whoops.  Sorry bout that.  When you mentioned make AVI files in LabVIEW that was my first thought.  But I made a bad assumption that it also supported playback via video outputs, but it doesn't look like it.  

Shaun - Thanks for the link.  There is a DirectShow rendering example given for mms video stream but I could not get it to work.  I tried to modify the URL for local media but no luck.  I will try to contact the originator of the library...

bbean - Yes Blackmagic does have a nice app that works great.  I can use it to stream uncompressed AVI files to my SDI output.  The problem is that I need to do this programatically...

23 hours ago, viSci said:

Shaun - Thanks for the link.  There is a DirectShow rendering example given for mms video stream but I could not get it to work.  I tried to modify the URL for local media but no luck.  I will try to contact the originator of the library...

bbean - Yes Blackmagic does have a nice app that works great.  I can use it to stream uncompressed AVI files to my SDI output.  The problem is that I need to do this programatically...

viSci....I was asking if you can get playback to work through any 3rd party players (not just Blackmagic).  VLC and Windows Media Player have activeX controls that can be used in LabVIEW.  But if your only luck is with the BlackMagic application, then you should probably talk to the vendor.

Also have you looked at the Developer SDK?

"Developer SDK
Available free with all UltraStudio models is an advanced developer SDK free of charge for Mac and Windows. Develop your own custom solutions to use in house or even sell! UltraStudio also includes DirectShow filters, a WDM Windows Driver and QuickTime API that lets UltraStudio models integrate seamlessly with an unbelievably wide range of applications and codecs. Develop your solutions with confidence because UltraStudio is a flexible, proven foundation that free you to work without limitations. "

There is probably a way to stream from VLC but I have not figured it out yet.  I did look at the Blackmagic SDK and played with an example that can stream a solid blue screen to the SDI output.  I guess that is a starting point...