Table

Hi!

How could I say, heading1 should be written into (I descripe the position like it is in excel) A1, heading2 in B1?

How could I manage that field1 (string) should be written into A2, field2 into B2...?

And my last question (for the time being) column width, I tried to get out the string lenght for the width. But there are 6 fields, and maybe I could find out the longest and take this as column width. But if I write in only one like this (read out the string lenght) I could see only one character (column is one character wide) :headbang:

Recapitulating I like to write 6 fields (all format string) into a table with coordinated headings and column widths.

So long, every heading is written in cell A1 and every string is written into A2 :blink:

Hi Sarah,

You can build an array of string and add the header values with the table property "row header".

For the other values you build a 2D array and set the table control value.

if you want to know what size your string is, you can use the VI Get Text Rect.

See image, too.

Ciao

Alex

post-688-1114180886.jpg?width=400

• 3 months later...
Hello,

May I see the code for the "Get Text Rect.vi" .

Thanks.

5506[/snapback]

The code is passworded because Get Text Rect.vi is probably considered by NI to be intellectual property. Do you have a problem this would help you solve or were you just curious? It is my understanding that if the VI has low level code that's called internally, or a special dll, or private methods or properties, then NI will password protect that VI.

The code is passworded because Get Text Rect.vi is probably considered by NI to be intellectual property.  Do you have a problem this would help you solve or were you just curious?  It is my understanding that if the VI has low level code that's called internally, or a special dll, or private methods or properties, then NI will password protect that VI.

5510[/snapback]

Hello,

Glad you were able to reply so quickly. Thanks.

I am trying to create an Access Table using LabVIEW where a novice user can enter data and acquire the data.

"Get Text Rect.vi" looked like a good example for me to play around with so that I can understand how to make it more useful to my user. I just wanted to learn and it looked like a good example.

Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Glad you were able to reply so quickly. Thanks.

I am trying to create an Access Table using LabVIEW where a novice user can enter data and acquire the data.

"Get Text Rect.vi" looked like a good example for me to play around with so that I can understand how to make it more useful to my user.  I just wanted to learn and it looked like a good example.

Thanks for any help.

5516[/snapback]

This VI calls directly into LabVIEW to call an internal C function. There is absolutely nothing you could learn from this VI other than that using a Call Library Node and entering "LabVIEW" in the livrary name you can directly call all exported LabVIEW manager functions. It is also this feature NI considers secret although they did forget in the past to protect a VI or two so the secret is not anymore secret.

For us non NI people this is really limited to the functions documented in the External Code Reference manual but LabVIEW exports a lot more functions although without documentation, trying to call them is a 99.99999% chance of generating access violations and having to restart LabVIEW to continue. And no, don't expect NI to document those functions, a lot are only there for historical reasons, quite a few have probably quite a lot of undesired side effects if not called in a certain context or way and last but not least they cover areas very likely to be affected in the future by adding support for new platforms and documenting them would make it almost impossible to modify them when the need arises.

Rolf Kalbermatter