LabVIEW 2017 Editing Issues

On 2/1/2019 at 8:52 PM, LogMAN said:

Here is the same VI in LV2015 for reference. To be fair, scrolling is as slow as in LV2017 (or vice versa), but the selection box is so much better.

You will notice that in 2015 and below, selection of the individual items isn't made until the mouse is released. In 2016 and later, the items are selected as you drag the selection.

Bit lets be clear here. The issue isn't version performance, per se. It is a problem with redraw on certain platform configurations; the reason for which is unknown. My feeling is that it is something to do with the display driver as I have seen other spurious issues (such as not redrawing correctly when dragging) which were resolved with driver updates.

Edited by ShaunR

I think ShaunR is in to something here. On LV2015 Quite often LabVIEW will get itself into a mode where in order to box select something I have to go completely around it rather than just partially around iy. No idea what causes this to change, but it pops up on my dev PC every few weeks. No driver change has happened inbetween and then it usually just fixes itself.

@Darrenhave you got any of the "speedup" keys in your LabVIEW.ini set?

22 hours ago, ShaunR said:

Bit lets be clear here. The issue isn't version performance, per se. It is a problem with redraw on certain platform configurations; the reason for which is unknown. My feeling is that it is something to do with the display driver as I have seen other spurious issues (such as not redrawing correctly when dragging) which were resolved with driver updates. 

You are right, hardware and drivers probably play a huge part in it. In fact, the computer I use to record the videos isn't really up to the task, which is why it's easy to reproduce.

19 hours ago, Neil Pate said:

I think ShaunR is in to something here. On LV2015 Quite often LabVIEW will get itself into a mode where in order to box select something I have to go completely around it rather than just partially around iy. No idea what causes this to change, but it pops up on my dev PC every few weeks. No driver change has happened inbetween and then it usually just fixes itself. 

That's really strange, can't say that I've ever had issues like that. Everything with the exception of structures and wires should simply work with partial selection. Does it only happen in LV2015?

Oh and I finally figured out why the block diagram sometimes renders one line at a time like this: (sorry for the potato capture, it's impossible to capture the screen because the graphics driver is busy rendering lines)

I can reproduce it 90% of the time on a decently slow VI using this method:

1. Open a complex VI that slows down the editor (like the VI mentioned before)
  2. Select an area that has lots of stuff in it. The more elements are highlighted, the better
  3. Scroll the window down until some of the selected items disappear from the screen (it should lag)
  4. Quickly left click into a free area to deselect all elements and scroll up immediately (it's important to have a delay when deselecting and scrolling or it won't work)

I've reproduced it in LV2015 and LV2017 and it happens maybe once per month on my dev machine. I'm curious if someone else has seen it?

Any idea why this is happening? Can you reproduce it too?

Edited by LogMAN
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:14 AM, Neil Pate said:

On LV2015 Quite often LabVIEW will get itself into a mode where in order to box select something I have to go completely around it rather than just partially around iy. No idea what causes this to change, but it pops up on my dev PC every few weeks. No driver change has happened inbetween and then it usually just fixes itself.

I just had this issue and found a way to reproduce (and fix) it:

1. Create a new VI in a library (use the right click menu of the library to create the VI).
  2. Place the VI on the block diagram of another VI

The VI is only selectable if the selection goes completely around it.

To fix it, open the icon editor on the offending VI and simply press OK to close it.

Now selection works as expected (i.e. partial selection selects the VI).

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
2 minutes ago, Scofield Gu said:

Let me give you the solutions :)

set the limit complier optimizations to 0~3 when editing the block diagram and recover it to the normal value(5) when you build it to exe.

image.png.5ff1ff509a1a11f888dbc0882fb49ca3.png

Thanks. I am not a huge fan of this as I would prefer my code to run as similar to the exe as possible. Changing this could mask race conditions which are really hard to debug in an exe if they happen.