Build process hangs

Cross post from NI.com.  

Has anyone else had a problem with building an application were the window hangs and looks like this:

2017-10-23 16_15_17-Build status.png

Says "Initializing build.  This could take several minutes...", but also has the "Done" button available.  LabVIEW is not using any CPU in this state.  Hitting Done (or Explore) exits the dialog, but LabVIEW is completely frozen and must be hast-killed from the Windows Task Manager.

I haven't seen this since around LV2013 (or 12?). In my case this was connected to very obscure compiler error, which was disabling LabVIEWs ability to build anything afterwards. LV would throw generic error window with something like "GenIL error" and after that boom - no build would ever work again. Bad news: the only way to fix this was to wipe the computer clean and reinstall everything (even "clean" uninstallation of NI software didn't help). Good news: this is probably some other problem somewhere at the initialization of the build, as the one I'm talking about is supposedly fixed long time ago. Have you tried to enable "Generate build log file" in the Advanced page of the build?

Or just clear LabVIEW Data folder again? ;)