Will statecharts survive to move to nxg?

I have to admit I've never gotten to use the state-chart module on a project, but I've always wanted too. I really enjoyed it when i evaluated it, but i worry it wont be available to nxg users... ever. Of course I can hope that it will be re-tooled and better than ever on nxg. What do you guys think will happen?

We used it in a few projects, but the biggest one which had lots of state charts became really slow to deploy. This made our workflow quite inefficient, as each time we wanted to update and test some code on a cRIO we'd need to spend ages waiting for the state charts to deploy (even if we haven't changed anything in the state charts or their VIs). The module's implementation doesn't scale well.

From what I've seen, the State Chart module isn't that popular in Current-Gen LabVIEW. I think it's unlikely the module will migrate to NXG, not without being re-designed from scratch.

9 hours ago, MarkCG said:

I actually think it has survived in a certain form--- it looks like statecharts are used in programming the new functional safety cRIO modules 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/53844/en/

That looks nice! It makes the safety logic easier to implement and understand.

It's nothing like the LabVIEW State Chart Module, however: "With state diagrams featuring up to eight individual state machines per module, you can complete your programming. You can use AND, OR, and NOT logic along with programmable timers to determine when to transfer between the various states. In addition, you can assign up to 24 Boolean variables. After you download the safety logic onto the module, you can monitor AI, DI, DO, variables, and diagnostics in the LabVIEW Real-Time Module." There are no VIs involved at all.

On 10/24/2017 at 10:56 AM, MarkCG said:

I actually think it has survived in a certain form--- it looks like statecharts are used in programming the new functional safety cRIO modules 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/53844/en/

This is a really nice step in the right direction. It is notable that this kind of development seems easier for developers of nxg than traditional LabVIEW, perhaps they cut out a great deal of development overhead.