Doing this again,

Neil Pate

• 7 months later...

Added:

• Text rendering to hardware accelerated texture
  • Time based animation and physics
  • Race and captain strings in sidebar
  • Three players! (Not really sure if this is sensible as it is going to complicate the AI, just was easy to implement, could actually do N players in current framework)
  • Three-layer parallax scrolling stars
  • Thrust dots
  • Lots of code tidy-ups

LabMelee v2 2018_07_13 20_08_11.mp4

• Like 1

I had not thought to use the high-res mods as they didn't seem to fit in with the style of the original. However, I did a quick test using the Mega Mod 0.8 that you linked to (thanks!) and actually I quite like it, do you think they are better?

Now, if I do use these I probably should also implement the multiple zoom factor thing as the "big" pictures are definitely too big now (but perfect for the fully zoomed in view).

2018-07-21 18-00-50.flv

Edited by Neil Pate
  • 3 weeks later...

Been trying to implement a scrolling camera with wrap around world. Seemingly simple stuff which just seems to get complicated quite quickly! 

Anybody want to try and crack this for me? I have a bunch of unit tests set up, it passes all the simple ones but falls over when dealing with some of the wrap around. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/26/2020 at 9:26 PM, Darren said:

I've been following this thread with interest, I love SC2. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Ok cool, I will pick it up again. 🙂

Stupidly I am now thinking of moving the game logic to python as this will give me a chance to play with the python integration node in LabVIEW (assuming it is not too slow) and also polish up my python.  The intention is that I can modify it while the game is running.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ShaunR said:

Uhuh. Seat-of-your pants design; the fastest way to project failure.

I believe this now referred to as "Agile" 😉 

But in all seriousness, not attempting something for fear of failure is not something I have ever really worried about. Also, it is pretty much impossible to fail on 100% hobby/pet-project/learning experience.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Neil Pate said:

I believe this now referred to as "Agile" 😉 

You have obviously never done Agile Development proper then since it is an iterative process which starts with the design step just after requirements acquisition.

2 hours ago, Neil Pate said:

But in all seriousness, not attempting something for fear of failure is not something I have ever really worried about. Also, it is pretty much impossible to fail on 100% hobby/pet-project/learning experience.

It's not a fear of failure, it is a fast-track route to failure which usually ends up with the software growing like a furry mold.

But anyway. It's your baby. You know best. Good luck :)

5 hours ago, ShaunR said:

You have obviously never done Agile Development proper then since it is an iterative process which starts with the design step just after requirements acquisition.

It's not a fear of failure, it is a fast-track route to failure which usually ends up with the software growing like a furry mold.

But anyway. It's your baby. You know best. Good luck :)

Better check your sense of humour detector, I think it might be faulty.

• Like 1