Distributing updates by PPL instead of EXE

I'm considering distributing a wrapper application that can download updates from the internet or internal network. I'm thinking that, so the user doesn't have to think too much about file locations or windows explorer, maybe just have the update in the form of a PPL and then async launch the top level. Has anyone had success going down this route?

It would probably be a good idea to secure the PPL by either signing it or making sure to download it using SSL.

Edited by infinitenothing

it sounds doable as long as the top level interface doesnt change and there are no dependencies shared from exe to ppl, especially shared parent classes. Not exactly the same, plug a plugin based application worked well with a static exe and rebuilt ppls, except occasionally the ppl child class and exe parent class would stop agreeing and so nothing would load. So long as you're basically using the exe as a http client and launcher, I think you'll be fine.

• Like 1