Control References Node

DTaylor

We have an internal tool at Erdos Miller that we've turned into a product. It's a node that outputs a cluster of references to all controls on the front panel. A free trial is available for download here:

http://info.erdosmiller.com/node-control-references-software-download-v1

It replaces code like this:

LabVIEW-code-node-image1.png

With a single node:

Capture.PNG

It also lets you:

• Bind the output type to a typedef.
  • Include a reference to the owning VI and/or the owning VI's front panel.
  • Exclude references to controls above or to the left of the origin.
  • Optionally exclude controls individually.

Controls on tabs are organized into page clusters. Try it out and let us know what you think!

Edited by DTaylor
  • Like 2

Language-independent update just landed!

For those curious, the node was creating some property nodes and setting the selected properties by the property's name, which varies from one language to another. We just needed to update it so that they were set by the property's unique ID.

Hey David,

It looks like a cool concept, but just FYI, this didn't actually work on my system after installing it.  It seems there's an invalid license which causes the library to be broken.  Using version 4.0.3.2 on LabVIEW 2016, Windows 10.  

Best of luck,

David_L

18 hours ago, David_L said:

Hey David,

It looks like a cool concept, but just FYI, this didn't actually work on my system after installing it.  It seems there's an invalid license which causes the library to be broken.  Using version 4.0.3.2 on LabVIEW 2016, Windows 10.  

Best of luck,

David_L

I think the included license is OK, we have a handful of users successfully using the trial, though you're the first to try it on Windows 10 (I don't see why that would matter). I did see the invalid status come up once when I was testing, though I don't remember the cause. If you uninstall the EM Control Refs package and re-install it, does it fix the issue? Would you be able to post a screenshot of what you're seeing? Thanks!

4 hours ago, DTaylor said:

I did see the invalid status come up once when I was testing, though I don't remember the cause.

Is it distributed as a lvlibp?. There is a bug (quirk?) in the TPLAT for packed libs that shows an invalid licence for the lvlibp but it still works correctly as a binary distribution.

Edited by ShaunR

It seems like an administrator privileges issue.  Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't solve it, however when I ran LabVIEW 2016 as an admin, the status changed to Expired.  I can almost bet that if I were to start over fresh and run LabVIEW as an admin before installing the first time, it would work fine.  

Typically this is handled by VIPM calling "RegisterAddon.exe" during the install process which automatically grants Admin rights, but that didn't seem to happen during installation in this case.  I wonder if it's because you're using VIPCs instead of just VIP for your installer.  If I were you I'd check with the LabVIEW Tools Network team or JKI Support for more help.  

I'll let Shaun fill you in on how much he loves these little TPLAT quirks :-)

• Like 1
On 3/5/2018 at 5:14 PM, David_L said:

I can almost bet that if I were to start over fresh and run LabVIEW as an admin before installing the first time, it would work fine.

Did RegisterAddon.exe not run at all, or are you thinking it ran with incorrect privileges? I do see RegisterAddon.exe run every time I install.

Nope, I didn't see it pop up at all, which is weird because I can see in the VIP file that activation is enabled.  Maybe something weird with the version of VIPM I have (2017.0.0f1)?  I know there have historically been a lot of weird issues between TPLAT and VIPM, so it never surprises me anymore when something weird like this happens.