Open "Edit Events" dialog programmatically?

On 3/14/2018 at 5:21 PM, Darren said:

It's not a G-based dialog, so to my knowledge, there's no way to launch it programmatically.

Well if those dialogs still work like they used to in older LabVIEW versions, the panel itself is a real VI front panel from one of the resource files but the implementation for it is a dialog window procedure written in C(++), which is why it can not be launched from another VI diagram.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 3/16/2018 at 11:15 AM, Aristos Queue said:

No mechanism exists to launch it.

Attached to this post is a VI that has exactly the same front panel as the Edit Events dialog from LabVIEW 2017. You could put code behind it if you wanted to use it elsewhere, but the only thing currently on the block diagram is a bunch of FP terminals.

Edit Events Dialog.vi

I'd think you used this but I don't think it works in LV 2017. Did you manually pull the VI from lvdialog.rsc and copy the FPHP to a new VI?

12 hours ago, flarn2006 said:

I'd think you used this but I don't think it works in LV 2017. Did you manually pull the VI from lvdialog.rsc and copy the FPHP to a new VI?

Many possibilities.

1) There might be a new and different INI file key that enables the dialog editor.

2) The dialog editor was completely removed in the released LabVIEW source code and only is present in NI internal builds of LabVIEW for testing and debugging. One or two strategically placed #if !RELEASE_BUILD ......... #endif pairs are enough for that.

3) There might be now a seperate NI internal tool (written in LabVIEW or compiled from the LabVIEW C++ source code) that you now have to use when wanting to edit those resource files.

I would bet it is either 2) or 3).

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter

When I mentioned manually manipulating the resources I was actually thinking something like #3. Well to be more precise, I was picturing my own tool (linked in my signature) that can do the same thing, but NI certainly has their own that they use, that's probably better than mine. (lets hope it leaks :p)