LabVIEW Content Landing Page

hooovahh

Brian, You may be able to add more features to the forum editor based on comment from Invision, but that should be a larger discussion on LAVA features and security.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/443912-editor-direct-html-editing/

You can enable HTML posting on a group level but this is not recommended for security reasons. There is no BBCode source mode but CKEditor plugins as found at https://ckeditor.com/cke4/addons/plugins/all can also be used and installed via the admin control panel. Do you have any specific usage examples where the editor is making unwanted decisions? If you have encountered any bugs with the editor we will be happy to investigate.

Excellent work Hooovahh! I hope it is not too much trouble to keep it up to date.

I would like to add to the "I'm Looking to Find Example Code and Toolkits" section the NI Reference Designs Portal at http://ni.com/referencedesigns

It is a collection of reference designs that Christian Loew and his team keep updating. It started with only Systems Engineering reference designs, but now it includes several other. 

Thanks for adding the links to the videos we have for source code control, you could also link to our blog SCC category, so as we add new blog posts and videos, the link will be up to date. We have videos for SVN, Hg, and Git: http://delacor.com/category/scc/

Thanks,

Fab 

Edited by hooovahh
Added Delacor SCC Link
15 hours ago, Fab said:

I would like to add to the "I'm Looking to Find Example Code and Toolkits" section the NI Reference Designs Portal at http://ni.com/referencedesigns

It is a collection of reference designs that Christian Loew and his team keep updating. It started with only Systems Engineering reference designs, but now it includes several other. 

I'd argue this should probably go under contributing code, not finding code.  Either that or going under the Beyond Basics Training where more advanced topics are discussed.  I might be wrong but Reference Designs Portal isn't really a place I would see going to find a toolkit, or example on how to do some operation.  It seems more like a place to understand design patterns, and structure code.

10 hours ago, hooovahh said:

I'd argue this should probably go under contributing code, not finding code.  Either that or going under the Beyond Basics Training where more advanced topics are discussed.  I might be wrong but Reference Designs Portal isn't really a place I would see going to find a toolkit, or example on how to do some operation.  It seems more like a place to understand design patterns, and structure code.

I will let @Christian_L add to this. I was suggesting to put it in the section looking for code because the Reference Designs already solve lots of problems that people who are starting from scratch might not know about. Instead of reinventing the wheel. The reference designs cover everything from simple libraries, design patterns all the way to complete application architectures. When I teach Advanced Architectures in LabVIEW I point people to this page and I often hear: "why didn't I know about this earlier before I went and reinvented the wheel". 

If you prefer to include it under Beyond Basics Training, that is fine with me, as long as it is included somewhere on the landing page.

Thanks,

Fab

I second the Wiki approach.  This allows everyone to easily contribute, without any one person having ownership of having to keep everything updated.  There's way too many sources of content that are created and as soon as the content creator moves on to other projects it gets left in the dust, never to be updated again (I know I've been guilty of this on the NI Community in multiple places).  Do you guys think a wiki like this should be under NI control (more visible and official-looking) or independent (unbiased and community led)?

46 minutes ago, David_L said:

I second the Wiki approach.  This allows everyone to easily contribute, without any one person having ownership of having to keep everything updated.  

To be fair I'm not the only owner of this, any moderator or admin on LAVA can update this as well.  But I get your point.

• Like 1

@The Q I don't know how difficult it would be, but I feel like it would be 1000x more effective if the wiki was hosted on lavag itself.  While I agree that a wiki is a good choice, having yet another place to go for LabVIEW content, might fragment the community even more.  

@hooovahh @Michael Aivaliotis Or any other Moderators, Do you guys have any insight if it's possible/easy to add wiki functionality to the Lavag site?

• Like 2

Yes, I saw that on the Wikidot one as well.  Abandoned since 2008, right after creating it too.  I sent in a request to have the domain released to me but it looks like it takes Wikidot's Admin a long time to get to those requests.  I even messaged the current owner, but with no reply.  So for now Wikia it is.  I would rather have it hosted on Wikidot, it has better themes (like the standard Wikipedia one everyone is used to).

If LAVA wants to restart the wiki I would support that.

-Sorry @hooovahh I didn't mean to hijack your post.  I really like the Landing Page.  It is pretty much all inclusive.

Edited by The Q

Despite being on LAVA all the time, my power is quite limited and I believe something like hosting a Wiki here would take more than administrator controls and would need site controls, meaning only Michael would be capable of this.  I don't mind hijacking this thread, as I intend on periodically pruning it (as I've done a little so far) and after some time and discussions die down I'll delete the user posts.  Obviously this would be counter productive to the discussion taking place and I did think about locking this thread from the start but this is fine.  Keep it coming just know that your post maybe deleted after a conclusion has been made on a subject, or your content has been added to the main post.

• Like 1

If this page will be the forever "Landing page" then I agree you should delete the posts eventually.  However, now that a wiki exists (whether in it's current place, or back here if Michael figures out a way to add a wiki), my thought was someone (you, me, someone else with free time on their hands) migrate your top post to the wiki and that becomes the forever "Landing page".  That way, again, it's not only up to you to maintain it for eternity, but can evolve through community involvement over time.  

Agree or disagree?

• Like 2
On 27/10/2018 at 10:46 PM, Michael Aivaliotis said:

MediaWiki is super powerful, but not intuitive for new editors.

Recent versions have a WYSIWYG editor.

On 27/10/2018 at 10:46 PM, Michael Aivaliotis said:

The problem was that we got struck with a rash of spammers. More like bots. They would go through and create hundreds of pages overnight. In that environment, you need moderators and editors to delete the pages and watch for edits. I was the only moderator and admin. So my plate was full. I ended up locking it down and forced it so that you had to have a login account to edit pages. On top of that, the login's had to be manually approved by me to prevent bot accounts.

Requiring an account makes sense, especially if you already have an SSO to integrate MediaWiki accounts with forum accounts.

A project I'm in uses the Moderation extension for MediaWiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Moderation. It's quite decent; it shows a list of pending edits to be approved/rejected, so the public won't ever see the vandalism and a moderator won't have to waste time reviewing an edit that has already been greenlit by another moderator. Moderators can also mass approve/reject edits by a single account. You can also whitelist certain users so their edits get auto-approved.

• Like 1

@Michael Aivaliotis I'm willing to combine efforts.  Wikia is changing its name to FANDOM soon anyways and I didn't know what I wanted to do about that.  Its already changed in all but the URL which will change sometime in 2019 or 2020.

What I really wanted is a place where we could group great content we have already created (or are creating) by topics.  An index of articles so-to-speak.  (More so than maybe what I have already created on the Wikia site.)  Great content is posted everywhere, blogs (company and personal), podcasts, forums (NI and LAVA), etc.  What I would like to see is a place where anyone can post a link to their content, provide a title, synopsis, and some keywords and then this repository would make that searchable by the title, author, and the keywords.  Google won't find everything but it helps (because most of us aren't SEO experts).  I see a lot of reinvention because content can't be found.

I think this is the thing that is needed more than the Wiki.  The Wiki, if there really needs to be one, is a place where people can post articles when the don't have anywhere else to post.

Again, I'm willing to combine efforts here and I will volunteer as a moderator or in whatever capacity you need depending on how this ends up looking.

Well, the idea behind the original LabVIEW Wiki was to create a Wikipedia for LabVIEW. So linking to external content was welcome, using similar rules as Wikipedia uses. Mainly as cross-reference material or at the bottom of a page where further research could be done. Having said that. A page with all the LabVIEW blogs (which we had before) would definitely be ok. However, creating a dedicated sales page, for example, for your new Modbus toolkit would be forbidden. But a page dedicated to how Modbus works and used in LabVIEW is fine. Where then you could create a section on that page linking to all the Modbus toolkits and code available.

There's a fine line that needs to be walked. The Wiki needs too have a definite purpose. It's ok if that purpose changes. But if it's just left wide open, then it will serve no purpose and be just another dumping ground on the web.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...