News about the LabVIEW Wiki! Read more... ×

8 hours ago, ShaunR said:

That's not my vision and would argue that it would be no better than under vi.lib. I think we both see the value of install but for uninstall you don't want to touch the target packages - just delete or recreate the links.

I get that. But thinking about it even more. It seems you would want to have a feature to completely remove an installed Package ?. Otherwise you would have an ever-expanding database of files.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:59 AM, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

If there are specific situations where someone wants to discuss a different license for whatever reason with me for any of these libraries, I'm willing to discuss that. But as a community submission it will remain as it is for the foreseeable future.

I've resolved the issue.

Zlib Library for LabVIEW (BSD-3)

Getting back to this again.

What should we do with plain zip files?

What I'm thinking of are the zip packages which are basically "install to a place of your choice-have fun" type packages. Many of these are given away as "driver" packages for interfacing to hardware.

OGPM, VIPM and NIPM all have meta data of how and where to install but a simple zip file has no meta data.

How would we handle this? Should we handle this?

I would tend to say that it is overkill. If you really want to handle this it coudn't really be more than a 1:1 copy of the complete content to the user selected destination directory. Personally I find that this is easier to handle in 7-zip or similar on windowed desktops and on the command line if you work predominantly there (though why would you use LabVIEW then 😀).

15 minutes ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

I would tend to say that it is overkill. If you really want to handle this it coudn't really be more than a 1:1 copy of the complete content to the user selected destination directory. Personally I find that this is easier to handle in 7-zip or similar on windowed desktops and on the command line if you work predominantly there (though why would you use LabVIEW then 😀).

Well. You could also generate a menu so it appears in the palette.

If you install it in instr.lib or user.lib and do a menu refresh (application property node) it should be added anyways although with a default icon but what else would you want to add there? Creating a nicer default icon?

1 hour ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

If you install it in instr.lib or user.lib and do a menu refresh (application property node) it should be added anyways although with a default icon but what else would you want to add there? Creating a nicer default icon?

True. I'm just spit-balling.

You may also get version control out of it.