Programmatically Set a Property Item

I want to set a property item in a Property node.  For properties that have a single ID, I can get this method to work:pii.png.b188c9093fea8671624201b3b36d510a.png

For example, setting a property item for a Control property node to "Label" simply requires the ID string "6332005"; yielding:pl.png.5e1023bdabed67525407876ebb0c3734.png

However many properties require more that one ID.  For instance:plt.png.5fd840fd4219e8982aa32bcff07e8f2b.png requires "6332005" (Label), and "632d800" (text).

I can't find a way to set a property item to a property that has such multiple levels.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Paul Cardinale

Someone from NI can chime in, but I think this is not possible and is one of those limitations of LabVIEW Scripting.  QuickDrop has a CTRL+Shift+B that operates on a property node and it has a limitation of not working with "dotted properties".  I assume that's due to a limitation with LabVIEW's scripting otherwise NI would have supported it.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for digging this up, Paul. I got it to work for dotted properties of multiple levels (so not only Label.Text, but also things like Terminal.Wire.Terms[]). I'm going to try to update the VI Server Rename plugin for Quick Drop to allow setting dotted properties by using this deprecated property. (?)

• Like 1
On 1/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, hooovahh said:

So does that mean that this deprecated function is still semi-supported?  I assume it was deprecated for a reason, is it unstable under any known circumstance?

If I recall correctly, it was deprecated because the current property is more explicit about how you're assigning the property name (ID, short name, long name), whereas the deprecated property was more ambiguous (you could wire in any of them I think). But to my knowledge, there's no problem using the deprecated property. When I update the VI Server Rename plugin, I'll make sure to only call the deprecated property if there's a period in the specified property name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Darren, any chance of getting the All Supported Properties property of the Property class (i.e. the property node) to actually return all the supported properties for the current class of the property node, including all of the nested ones?

As it is today, that property only returns the top level properties (so it would show a Label property if the node is linked to a class inheriting from Control, but not all the subproperties coming from the Label class).

If that's too hard for support reasons, maybe at least adding a new property which will actually return all of them?

6 hours ago, Yair said:

Darren, any chance of getting the All Supported Properties property of the Property class (i.e. the property node) to actually return all the supported properties for the current class of the property node, including all of the nested ones?

As it is today, that property only returns the top level properties (so it would show a Label property if the node is linked to a class inheriting from Control, but not all the subproperties coming from the Label class).

If that's too hard for support reasons, maybe at least adding a new property which will actually return all of them?

This is a good idea. I suggest posting it to the Idea Exchange.

• 1 year later...